Women’s basketball wins in overtime thriller

It was an eventful week for the Williams women’s basketball team: it played two overtime games, beating Amherst in one, was ranked thirteenth in Columbus Multimedia, and co-captain Kathleen Higgins ’99 was voted Player of the Week by two separate organizations.

Saturday night, Williams faced rival Amherst College in an exciting matchup. With the gym full, the Ephs dominated for the entire first half and much of the second. Up by 17 with ten minutes remaining it appeared that the game was in the bag for Williams. However, a determined Amherst squad fought back to tie the game at 69 apiece. Williams attempted a three pointer with seconds remaining. Rebecca Brooks ’00 was able to sink the rebound, but it was just a second too late.

Williams immediately jumped in front of the Jeffs in the five-minute overtime, pulling out an 81-73 win. Brooks led the Ephs with 25 points, and Higgins added 17, bringing her career total to within 37 of the school scoring record. Also helping out the Ephs were Robyn Goldman ’01, who added 15 points, Erin Duffy ’99 with eight rebounds and Liz Tilley ’01 with eight assists. Kathryn Hersey of Amherst led all scorers with 37.

Earlier in the week Williams traveled to Springfield where they played another overtime game and dropped their first game of the season. It was a battle throughout, as the Ephs were up by one at the half before the teams fought to a 68-68 tie. Plagued by 26 turnovers and poor shooting, Williams was unable to take the lead and ended up losing their first game of the season 82-75. Higgins dropped in 20 points, Katie Ford ’00 added 13, and Duffy pitched in nine.

After a stellar performance in the Williams Winter Classic, co-captain Kathleen Higgins was named Player of the Week by both the New England Women’s Basketball Association (NEWBA) and Columbus Multimedia Northeast. In the two games of the Classic, Higgins notched 54 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists. Averaging 17.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game, Higgins is currently second in Williams history in both career scoring and assists, and nearing top ten for career rebounds.