Men’s track cruises to easy Quad Cup championship

The Williams College Men’s Track and Field team welcomed three teams to the Herbert Towne Field House on Saturday, January 17. By dispatching all three, the Ephs extended their winning streak in dual, tri and quad meets to 127.

The Ephs scored 280 points, more than doubling second place Middlebury’s score of 128.5. WPI finished in third, almost 30 points behind Middlebury, and Bowdoin rounded out the field with only 26 points.

The sprinters impressed on Saturday with a versatile attack. Ed Rossier ’01 and Eric Getty ’02 started off the scoring by placing third and fifth respectively in the 55-meter hurdles. In the 55-meter dash, Chido Alozie ’01 sped to victory in 6.71 seconds. First-Year Valentin Von Armin proved that he will be a force this season as he placed second in 6.75. Rossier got back on the track and blew away the competition in the 200-meter dash with a strong time of 23.43. Alozie placed fourth. Mike Schloat ’01 continued his comeback from a severe back injury by taking the 400 meter with a time of 53.94. Getty was second and senior Jeff Kaye rounded out the top three.

Two Ephs ran strongly in the 600-meter. Trevor Bayliss ’99 placed first (1:26.14) while tri-Captain Aaron DeCamp finished second (1:27.27). Finally, in the 800-meter dash, Ryan McDevitt ’02, Cliff Covington ’01, Miguel Fernandez ’01 and Nick Minekime ’02 swept places second through fifth.

Sophomore Jason Mirach led Williams in the field events. He won the long jump easily with a mark of 21’ 11”. Alozie placed second (20’ 4 1/4”), Alex Wong ’99 was fifth and Yang Wang ’01 took sixth. Mirach also blasted the competition in the triple jump (42’ 3 1/4”). Wong was second.

Tom Douglas ’01 and Malcolm Perry ’02 each cleared 12’ and placed second and third respectively in the pole vault. Williams swept the placed in the shot put, led by Bob Blackstone ’00 (46’4 1/2”). Dave Nemeskal ’99 was second, while David Fontes ’02 was third. Finally, weight throw brought another good performance from Matt Campanelli ’00, who placed second (44’ 1 1/2”). Carter Wilkinson ’99 was fourth.

A number of the top distance runners sat out this meet in order to continue a rigorous workout regimen, but that did not prevent the team from turning in some excellent performances. Geoff Hutchison ’99 and Minekime went second and third in the 1500-meter run. Jay Slowik ’01 and Brian Hennessey ’99 did the same in the 1000-meter run, and the 3000-meter was all Williams as the Ephs took the top three places. Wes Reutimann ’02 crossed first (8:58.19), followed by Jeff Edmonds ’99 (9:01.35) and Dusty Lopez ’01 (9:02.77). Williams rounded out the day by winning both the mile and distance medley relays.

The Ephs will host the second Quad cup next Saturday at Towne Field House. Look for more excellent performances starting at noon.