Women’s basketball rolls past foes in the Williams Winter Classic

After a three-week layoff, the Williams Women’s basketball team made a successful return to competition as they rolled over three opponents, thus remaining undefeated this season.

On Sunday the team faced Keene State in the Championship game of the Williams Winter Classic. After a disputed start, tough defense allowed Williams to pull out to a 21-12 lead, after which the Ephs never looked back. With a buzzer shot from tournament MVP Kathleen Higgins ’99, the Ephs finished the first half leading 47-32. It was then a true team effort as Williams dominated the second half, shooting well and playing solid defense. Higgins was on fire with five three-pointers in the second half, finishing with 28 points, four rebounds, and five assists. Rebecca Brooks ’00 controlled the frontcourt with 14 points and six rebounds. All tournament team member Laura Brenneman ’99 netted in six points and Liz Tilley ’01 added ten assists.

In the first round of the Classic, Williams was victorious over a persistent Babson squad. The game remained close for much of the first half, and defensive rebounds proved key as the Ephs were able to pull ahead 42-30 at the half. The second half began with Williams breaking free to take a 55-39 lead, and although Babson caught up to within seven points with just over eight minutes remaining in the game; Williams then unleashed a seven point run on their way to a 75-62 victory. Higgins led all scorers with 26 points, while also adding three assists and eight rebounds to complete a tremendous performance. Also grabbing important rebounds for Williams were Nicole Stephens ’02 with ten –including seven in the first half—, Erin Duffy ’99 with eight and Rebecca Brooks with seven to go along with her ten points. Laura Brenneman also contributed 16 points to the Ephs’ effort.

Earlier in the week the Ephs traveled to play Mt. Holyoke, where they dominated in a decisive 73-37 victory. In their first game of the new year, Robyn Goldman ’01 led Williams with 16 points, followed closely by Higgins with 14. Brooks and Katie Effler ’02 each grabbed four rebounds, while Brenneman and Katie Ford ’00 pitched in with nine and six points respectively.

These victories brings the Ephs record to eight and zero as they head into next week’s trip to Springfield and home game against rival Amherst.