Several Ephmen win in Quad Cup races

Led by two of their outstanding captains, members of the Williams College men’s track and field team traveled to Dartmouth College on Sunday for the annual Dartmouth Relays, a meet that brings together some of the finest athletes of the Northeast and Canada. With the demanding Quad Cup schedule to begin in a week, the Ephs were looking to set the tone for the season.

The distance squad made the biggest splash at Dartmouth, led by All-American captain Paul Alsdorf ’99. Having won the 5000-meter run at the Harvard Invite before the winter recess, Alsdorf moved down to the 3000-meter and won it in fine fashion, with a time of 8:35.65. Dan McCue ’99 also ran a good race and finished in 9:03.65.

Sophomore Dusty Lopez had a breakout season in cross-country and it appears as though his success will continue throughout the year. He triumphed in the 5000-meter, finishing with a strong 15:37.54.

In the mile, versatile Yuneng Li ’99 crossed the line in 4:25.62, followed by Jay Slowik ’01 in 4:28.73 and Reed Harlow ’01 in 4:32.79. A number of these athletes also participated in the Ephs’ two distance medley relay teams. The ‘A’ squad, composed of Li, Ed Rossier ’01, Brian Hennessey ’99 and Harlow, finished second in 10:36.88 while the ‘B’ team of Slowik, Cliff Covington ’01, Ted Wasserman ’00 and McCue was right behind them for third.

Rossier was the most successful sprinter of the day for Williams, finishing an impressive sixth in the 55-meter high hurdles. His time of 8.02 seconds ranks him number eight all-time at Williams. Hennessey also ran a swift half-mile, placing fourth in 1:57.21. Captain David Stuhlsatz ’99 had a good showing in the shot put. His throw of 50’ 4” is an NCAA provisional mark.

The Ephs return home on Saturday, January 16th to face some stiff Quad Cup competition. The action begins at noon in the venerable Herbert S. Towne Field House.