NAACP chair Julian Bond to discuss ‘Civil Rights, Then and Now’

As part of the tenth anniversary celebration of the Williams College Multicultural Center and in commemoration of Martin Luther King, Jr., Julian Bond will discuss “Civil Rights, Then and Now.” The lecture is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 15, at 8:15 p.m., in Thompson Memorial Chapel on the Williams campus. The public is cordially invited to attend.

Bond is chairman of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the oldest and largest civil rights group in the country, and as chair, he speaks for a membership of a half-million. He is also a professor of history at the University of Virginia and distinguished lecturer at American University. He has taught at the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Harvard University, and at Williams College in 1992.

Since his college days, Bond has been an active participant in the civil rights movement. As a student at Morehouse College in Atlanta in 1960, he led sit-ins that integrated the city’s lunch counters and helped found the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, an offshoot of Martin Luther King Jr.’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

He is the author of Black Candidates – Southern Campaign Experiences and A Time To Speak, A Time to Act. He is also the author of numerous articles and poems in periodicals including the Atlanta Constitution, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and The Nation.

His contributions have been recognized by many awards, including the 1985 Bill of Rights Award from the Georgia ACLU, and a similar award from the Massachusetts Civil Liberties Union in 1990, and a place in Time Magazine’s 200 Leaders list. He serves on many boards of organizations actively involved in race relations; economic, civil, and human rights; education and political reform, and community improvement; including the American Civil Liberties Union.

He was a member of the Georgia General Assembly for 20 years. During his service in that body, Bond was sponsor or co-sponsor of more than 60 bills which became law, including the pioneering of sickle cell anemia testing.