Hockey skates past Wesleyan, Conn

The Williams College men’s ice hockey team improved their record to 7-3-0 overall, and 6-1-0 in the ECAC East as they defeated Wesleyan 4-2 and Connecticut College 4-0.

These wins were absolutely imperative, as a second loss in ECAC play would have made post-season play for the Ephs almost impossible.

Wesleyan’s first goal came 11:24 into the game as forward Kevin Hardy ’00 skated down the left side and crossed it to forward Cooper Schieffelin ’99, who one-timed it into the right corner. The Cardinals scored again after 14:27 in the first period, as forward Mark Bozek ’02 passed the puck up the ice to forward Bryce Prosser ’99. Prosser flipped the puck back to Steve Cucinatti ’01, who spun around and lifted the puck into the upper right corner.

The second period was scoreless, but the Ephs came out strong in the third, scoring after 2:16. Defenseman Brent Kozel ’02 passed the puck over to forward Craig Branca ’00, who then skated up the ice, cut in front of the net, and beat the goaltender one-on-one. The Ephs scored again 6:16 into the third, as forward David Carrillo ’00 received the puck in front of the net, and one-timed it into the lower right corner. At 14:42 into the third period, defenseman Eric Demment ’01 skated behind the goal and lifted the puck into the near corner. This brought the score to 3-2 in favor of Williams. The Ephs’ final goal was an empty-netter scored by forward Jeff Russell ’99, 19:58 into the third period. In goal for Williams was junior Dave Haimson, who faced 32 shots and made 30 saves.

In goal for Wesleyan was Eric Carmody ’00, who faced 63 shots and made 60 saves.

On Saturday, the team shutout the Connecticut College Camels by a score of 4-0. This Camels’ record is now 3-2-0 in the ECAC East, 4-4-0 overall. The first period was scoreless, but Conn. College outshot the Ephs 13-6. It wasn’t until 11:15 into the second period that Williams scored their first goal. The Ephs were down a man as Chad Ogiba ’00 passed the puck from behind the net to Ryan Crisp ’01, who took a touch and lifted it into the upper right corner. The score remained 1-0 until the end of the second period.

Williams came out strong in the third period, scoring at the 3:23 mark. Alex Garceau ’02 passed the puck in front of the net to Andrew Beasley ’02, who one-timed the puck through the goaltender’s legs. At 14:02, the Ephs had a man advantage as Craig Branca ’00 received the puck behind the net, and swung around and placed it in the near corner. This brought the score to 3-0 Williams. The final goal of the game came 17:30 into the third period as David Carrillo ’00 one-timed in a pass from senior Jeff Russell. In goal for the Ephs was Dave Haimson ’00, who faced 25 shots and made 25 saves. In goal for the Camels was junior Justin Brackett, who faced 28 shots and made 24 saves.

“I thought it was a good, solid win,” said Williams’ head coach Bill Kangas of Saturday’s game, “we started to play better as the game went on, especially in the third period. We started to play well in all three zones, and the guys really started supporting each other.” The Ephs’ next match is Tuesday on the road against Colby, at 6:00 p.m., in a non-conference game. Williams is currently tied for first with Amherst in the ECAC East standings.