Brodie offers resonable value for students

Before heading out to Brodie, you should remind yourself that you live in the Appalachians, not the Rockies, and that you will be paying about one-fifth of what a lift ticket would cost at a larger resort. With those two factors in mind, you can proceed to have a perfectly enjoyable afternoon out on the slopes.

Brodie offers Williams students a variety of special discount rates on both lift tickets and rentals. A midweek, non-holiday afternoon lift ticket (1-5) is only $10, as opposed to the regular rate of $24. The Outing Club runs a bus from Chapin Hall to Brodie each afternoon during the week. This is one of the most convenient options for students who only want to ski a couple of days per week. Rentals for the day cost only $15. For those who would like to ski more frequently, there are two options for season passes. One is valid Monday through Friday (non-holiday), 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and costs $100. The other is a twilight pass, valid seven days a week (including holidays), 3:00 to 11:00 p.m. for $125. There are also package deals available for rentals.

With 12-13 of their 40 slopes open, Brodie Mountain Ski Resort offers enough variety for an afternoon of skiing or boarding, without being at all overwhelming. The chair lifts are of the old-school double variety and they run excruciatingly slowly, but lift lines are nonexistent. The trails are relatively few, but pleasantly non-crowded. The runs offer the perfect amount of space for beginners to get started or for the more experienced to take some relaxed runs and perhaps polish some technique. As of last week, the surface was mostly machine groomed, without too many ice patches, but at least one slope had that granular quality that no one enjoys.

According to General Manager Matt Kelly, the current conditions on the mountain are excellent, with several inches of fresh-fallen snow. The forecast suggests that several more slopes will be opening soon. An expansion of options will be a welcome change for those who have tried to take advantage of the Brodie offerings for more than a few hours.

Brodie, like most resorts, has seen a sharp rise in the number of snowboarders in recent years. Six years ago, only about four percent of customers were boarders. This year the resort has seen those numbers rise to 27-30 percent. To meet the demands of a new customer pool, Brodie has built a new half-pipe at the base of the slopes. The new half-pipe may counteract boredom for boarders, but the dearth of variety becomes quickly tiresome for skiers as well.

Put things into perspective, though. It’s Winter Study, so you have some extra time. You live in Williamstown, so there aren’t a lot of options for things to do. A midweek afternoon lift ticket only costs $10 and it only takes 15 minutes to get there. . .even if the skiing isn’t stellar, it’s an afternoon diversion worth trying.