Women’s basketball improves record to 5-0 with two wins

The Williams women’s basketball team remained perfect this week, improving their record to 5-0 as they defeated Union and Keene State. It was also a big week for the Ephs in the record books: Liz Tilley ’01 tied the record for most assists in a game with ten against Keene State and Kathleen Higgins ’99 became the second all time leading women’s scorer at Williams with her career total now up to 1,330.

On Saturday the Ephs faced their toughest opponents yet, Union College. Despite being outscored 37-36 in the second half, the Ephs pulled it out in their closest win yet, 82-76.

Williams’ depth proved key in this matchup, as four players reached double digits in scoring. Higgins led the way with 17 points (five rebounds) as Laura Brenneman ’99 and Rebecca Brooks ’00 followed closely with 14 points each. Robyn Goldman ’01 added 11 points and under the boards Erin Duffy ’99 grabbed seven rebounds. Tilley also pitched in a game high four assists.

Earlier in the week Williams traveled to Keene State, where they rolled to an 83-56 win, ruining Keene’s perfect record. Once again Higgins led the Ephs with 15 points, and co-captain Duffy dropped in 13 on a perfect six of six shooting.

On the whole the Ephs shot well, going 55% from the field with thirteen scorers. Goldman chipped in with 12 points, and Nicole Stephens ’02 also was perfect from the field, adding 12 points to the Ephs victory. Duffy dominated the boards with seven rebounds and Goldman had three steals. Tilley’s game high ten assists tied the Williams record set by Julia Beasley ’89.

The Ephs are now off until January 6, when they travel to face Mt. Holyoke at 7:30 p.m.