Williams fall season award winners

FOOTBALL

SEAN KEENAN ’00 – NE Player of the Year

KEN BECKER ’99 – First Team ECAC, All-NESCAC

FRED STORZ ’01 – First Team ECAC, All-NESCAC

MATT SIGRIST ’99 – All-NESCAC, Belvidere Brooks Memorial

JOHN BERRY ’01 – Second Team ECAC, All-NESCAC

CHRIS SWEATMAN ’00 – Rakov Memorial Award

DAN DICENZO ’01 – Charles Salmon Award

Williams College quarterback Sean Keenan ’00 was named the Offensive Player of the Year in New England Div. II & III by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston, club president Bob Capadona announced today.

Keenan will receive the third annual Joeseph P. “Joe” Zabilski Award at the club’s 60th annual dinner on Wednesday, December 9th at Lantana’s Restaurant in Randolph, MA. Bentley College’s Ben Nassar will receive the Zabilski Award for Div. II & III defensive players.

Keenan is the first Eph offensive player of the year honored by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston and the second Eph to be recognized as a player of the year by the club this decade. Ted Rogers ’91, a defensive end, shared the Bulger Lowe Award for defense in 1990 with Boston College LB Matt Kelley in a time when there was only one award for all of the three New England divisions.

Keenan led the Ephs to their fourth perfect season in 113 years of football (8-0-0) by connecting on 122 of 203 passes for a school record of 1,780 yards. Of Keenan’s 122 completions, 15 went for TDs. Keenan was intercepted only four times in 203 attempts. For the season Keenan had a NESCAC-leading quarterback efficiency rating of 154.20.

“Thank goodness Sean wanted the opportunity to compete in both basketball and football in college,” noted Eph head coach Dick Farley. “Otherwise he certainly would have been playing at a higher level. We saw Sean at a summer football camp and liked his mechanics and throwing ability. When he told us he was only interested in schools that would allow him to also compete in basketball, I thought this would be a good match for him.”

Keenan was the NESCAC’s top-rated passer on the year, and along with the school record for most passing yards in a season, he also set school marks for most completions in one season (122) and most yards per game passing (222.5).

Keenan now ranks seventh all-time among Eph passers with 2,168 yards and needs 870 to take over the top spot. He is also tied for fifth in career TD passes with 18 and is third in completion percentage (56.9).

Keenan needs only 68 completions to set the career completion mark at Williams.

VOLLEYBALL

AMY GRIEFENSTEIN ’99 – All-Region

KATIE FORD ’00 – All-Region

The American Volleyball Coaches’ Association (AVCA)recently announced the All-Region Division III teams for the 1998 season. Williams College placed two players on the New England Regional team. Middle blocker Amy Greifenstein ’99 and outside hitter Katie Ford ’00 were the honored Eph players.

Greifenstein, a co-captain, led the Ephs in several statistical categories, including kills (424), hitting percentage (.311), blocks (114 solo, 99 assist) and blocks per game (1.7). She also had the second most service aces, with 62. This is Greifenstein’s fourth consecutive year on the New England regional team and for the past two years she has also been named the NESCAC player of the year.

Ford is a player on the rise in New England as this was her first time being named to the AVCA All-New-England team. She was both an offensive and defensive force for Williams, tallying 406 digs, 281 kills and 2.4 kills per game (second to Greifenstein’s 3.4). Ford will return to the Ephs for her final volleyball campaign next year.

The Williams Volleyball team recently completed a season of unprecedented success. The Ephs earned a berth as the #2 seed in the New England region of the NCAA tournament. The Ephs had a bye in the first round and then went on to beat arch-rival Amherst 3-1 in the second round. This win was Williams women’s volleyball’s first ever NCAA victory. In the regional match the Ephs lost a hard-fought match to Wellesley.

CROSS COUNTRY

PAUL ALSDORF ’99 – All-American

DAN MCCUE ’99 – All-American

MEG RANDALL ’99 – All-American

TIM CAMPBELL ’01 – All-New England

DUSTEY LOPEZ ’01 – All-New England

COURTNEY BENNINGSON ’01 – All-New England

LAUREN WIENER ’01 – All-New England

TARA CROWLEY ’00 – All-New England

FIELD HOCKEY

MOLLY VENTER ’01 – Second Team All-NESCAC

MORGAN HEINTZ ’00 – Second Team All-NESCAC

MEN’S SOCCER
NICK TREBAT ’99 – First Team All-NESCAC

STEVE DANBUSKY ’99 – First Team All-NESCAC

TED GIANNACOPOULUS ’02 – Second Team All-NESCAC

MATT MAGIERA ’00 – Second Team All-NESCAC

WOMEN’S SOCCER

LAURA BRENNEMAN ’00 – First Team All-Region, First Team All-NESCAC

MEGHAN CLEARY ’00 – First Team All-Region, Second Team All-NESCAC

COURTNEY STOKES ’02 – Second Team All-Region, First Team All-NESCAC

JILL CATERER ’00 – Third Team All-Region, Second Team All-NESCAC

KATIE WALSH ’99 – Second Team All-Region

KATHRYN BOLDUC ’01 – Second Team All-Region

KATHLEEN O’BOYLE ’01 – Third Team All-Region

GOLF

TAYLOR MCKINLEY ’00 – NEIGA All New England

MIKE SZODZINSKI ’00 – NEIGA All New England