Squash looks to bounce back

Women’s varsity squash lost to a tough Trinity team 9-0 in their season opener on Saturday at home. After losing eight players, including five of the top 12, the team, ranked eighth nationally last year, faces a rebuilding year with a young, athletic squad.

In the number one spot, senior captain Olivia Howell lost to Janine Thompson 9-1, 9-0, 9-1. Playing at number two, Amanda Winklevoss ’01 lost to Gail Davis 9-0, 9-0, 9-0, and in the third spot captain Madeline Bartow ’99 lost to Paige Vollmer 9-2, 9-1, 9-0.

In the fourth spot, Katherine French ’02 lost an exciting match to Sarah Burbank 9-2, 10-8, 0-9, 10-9. Johanna Kolondny ’01, Alexandra Nimetz ’99, Jennifer Berylson ’01, Liz Walsh ’01 and Kathryn Dingman ’01 lost to Trinity opponents in the fifth through ninth spots.

Williams Coach Julie Greenwood said that with the first match under their belt, her young squad is working hard and getting better. The squad is “learning more with every match,” and this first match is a “stepping stone to the rest of the season.”

Many players on the team are new to the sport, but their athleticism should help as the season progresses. First-year Selma Kikic showed promise in her match, taking a game 9-6 from her opponent before losing the next three 9-4, 9-6, 9-6. The Ephs next face Yale at home on January 7.