Men’s track wins first home meet

The Williams College Men’s Track and Field Team opened its 1998-1999 season on Saturday at Towne Field House. While the women were setting records left and right, the men’s team calmly went about its business and used its depth to overwhelm the opposition. Final team scores were Williams 121, Middlebury 55, Westfield State (MA) 46 and Keene State (NH) 24.

The Eph captains set the tone for the meet with two impressive performances. All-American David Stuhlsatz ’99 began what could become a monstrous season with a big victory in the shot put (50’ 4”). Aaron Decamp ’99 moved up in distance to the 600-meter and ran away with the win in a time of 1:27.3. Decamp’s performance was only one of the many impressive sprint performances on this day.

Hurdle aces Ed Rossier ’01 and NCAA qualifier Jacob Israelow ’01 placed fourth and fifth respectively in a very competitive 55-meter hurdle final which featured five of the best hurdlers in New England. First-Year Eric Getty placed sixth. In the 55-meter dash, Chido Alozie ’01 raced to a personal best time of 6.69 seconds, good for second place. Jon Pearson ’01 was third (6.83), and First-Years Valentin Von Armin and Josh Wakeham placed fourth and sixth respectively.

Pearson, Von Armin, Wakeham and Alozie teamed up to win the 200-meter relay by nearly three seconds over Middlebury. Alozie also ran strongly to place second in the 200-meter, with Von Armin placing fourth. Finally, Brian Henessey ’99 came back from a year off with a fine second place showing in the 400-meter dash (52.51). Getty and Jeff Kaye ’99 finished fourth and fifth.

Despite the absence of a number of key performers who were resting up after an outstanding cross country season, the Eph distance runners still posted some good performances, led by two prominent seniors. Geoff Hutchison ’99 won the 5000-meter run in a time of 15:55.41 and Andy Anderson ’99 took the 3000-meter run in 9:26.4.

The finishes of the other distance men showed just how much depth the team has. Three Williams runners also impressed in the 800. Chris Warshaw ’02 (2:09.45), Tyson Matsumoto ’99 (2:10.65) and Doug Thunen ’02 (2:15.79) finished second, third, and fourth respectively. Another first-year, Wes Reutimann, ran hard for second in the 1500-meter run, with Kevin Stephans ’00 keeping pace for fifth.

Beyond the throwing of Stuhlsatz there were many other great throws, leaps, and vaults. Super sophomore Jason Mirach started strongly by winning both the long jump (21’ 2 1/4”) and triple jump (42’ 5 1/2”). Yang Wang ’01 placed fourth in the long and second in the triple.

Two Williams pole-vaulters also kicked off their seasons in a big way. Malcolm Perry ’02 and Tom Douglas ’01 went second and third, both clearing 12’ 6”. Matthew Campanelli ’00 heaved the 35 lb. weight 46’ 10” for victory in his favorite event, and Bob Blackstone ’00 placed second to Stuhlsatz in the shot with a throw of 43’ 8 1/2”.

With this victory in their pockets, most of the Ephs will spend the next two weeks concentrating on the challenge of final exams. A few hearty souls will travel to Cambridge on December 12 for the Harvard Invitational, while the fur will really fly when the team returns from the Winter Recess to face the tough schedule.