Football team makes donation to Zanin Fund

At the annual Williams College Sideline Quarterback Club football team banquet held at the Taconic Restaurant in Williamstown on November 19th, senior tri-captain Matt Sigrist announced that the football Ephs would be donating $500 to the Dave Zanin Fund.

Zanin, a sophomore linebacker at American International College in Springfield, MA, was paralyzed from the waist down in a fall from a tree stand while hunting on November 9th.

“We usually collect money to buy our coaches gifts, but this year Coach Farley suggested that we forego the coaches’ gifts and make a contribution to the Dave Zanin Fund,” noted Sigrist. “We felt we had to recognize our coaches after the season we had (8-0-0, fourth undefeated season in 113 years for Williams), but we toned down the coaches’ gifts so we could help a football brother who has suffered an unfortunate injury.”

“I’m real proud of this team for what they accomplished on the field this past season and their gift to help Dave Zanin is very meaningful to me and the staff because we know Dave,” said head coach Dick Farley. Zanin hails from nearby Gt. Barrington, MA.

“We try to teach our kids to be an active part of the football community and get involved with the game if they have had a positive experience here…this gift says more about our players than I ever have. Maybe we’ll be the spark that will get more people in the community involved.”

Eph offensive line coach and head wrestling coach, Mike Whalen, will be staging a wrestling fund-raiser for Zanin later this season. The fundraising effort by the Eph wrestlers will center around their December 5th home event with Princeton, NYU, Roger Williams and Sacred Heart.