Volleyball ousted out of tourney by rival Wellesley

Williams women’s volleyball finished the 1998 fall season with a loss to undefeated Wellesley in the third round of the NCAA tournament, which was held at Wellesley College. The Ephs were seeded second behind Wellesley in the New England bracket. The loss gives the Ephs a final record of 28-6, and marks an unmatched season with their first trip to the Sweet Sixteen of the post-season tournament.

On Saturday the Ephs fell to Wellesley (30-0) for the fourth time in four meetings this season. Despite leading in the first game 14-10, Wellesley came back to steal the game 16-14. Fighting back in the second game, Williams won 15-3.

However, in the third and fourth games the Ephs were unable to stop Wellesley, ranked number one in New England, and both games ended with scores of 15-4 in favor of Wellesley.

Middle blocker Amy Greifenstein ’99, NESCAC player of the year, had nine kills, nine digs and four blocks. Kelley Powell ’99, playing on a sprained ankle, had six kills, four digs and a block. Captain Christine Whitcraft ’99 had 23 set assists in the match. The captains were assisted by Kelly Ford ’00, who recorded nine kills and 15 digs, Shekinah Cohn ’01 with 19 digs, and Kristine Taylor ’01 with 13 digs.

Friday night, the Ephs faced arch-rival Amherst for the fifth time this season. The Ephs beat the Lord Jeffs in the first three meetings, but fell to the Lord Jeffs at the Little Three tournament at Amherst on October 31.

In the final meeting this season, Williams needed four games to finish off the Lord Jeffs 15-13, 15-7, 13-15, 15-9. Greifenstein had 13 kills, 17 digs, four blocks and three aces. Ford notched 11 kills, five aces and 13 digs, and Cohn added eight kills, 18 digs and two blocks. Powell, who was playing “her best match of the year,” according to Coach Pat Manning, sprained her ankle in the third game and was forced to sit out the rest of the match.

Prior to her injury, Powell had eight kills, four blocks, and no errors. Kelly Grant ’00 came ready to play off the bench, with four aces and ten digs.

The win marked the first Eph win in post-season play, in their third appearance in six years of NESCAC eligibility for the tournament.