Men’s CC ranked #1 in nation

The new national poll came out Tuesday of last week with the latest rankings of Division III cross-country teams. As a result of their strong performance all season and their dominance at NESCACs, Williams is now ranked first in the nation, ahead of Midwest rival North Central. The two teams will meet in two weeks.

This week, Williams rested their top six runners and sent the next seven to Worcester, MA to compete in the annual ECAC championships. These intrepid harriers, who would be top five almost anywhere else in the country, still managed to take second place overall out of 33 scoring teams, losing only to nationally ranked Keene State 25-53.

In front for the Ephmen was sophomore sensation Tim Campbell ’01. Campbell took it out easy but came on very strong late to take sixth overall in a time of 26:31. “The last mile was great,” he said.

Not far behind were both Shad Miller ’00 and Reed Harlow ’01. Miller and Harlow finished eighth and ninth respectively in 26:39 and 26:40. “I just tried to keep on Tim and then Reed was coming up really quickly. We just kind of finished together in a bunch,” noted Miller. “The course though wasn’t nearly as rad as they said it was.”

Rounding out the Williams contingent were Wes Reutimann ’02 in 26:59, good enough for thirteenth; Jay Slowik ’01 in twentieth at 27:17 and Teddy Wasserman ’00 in thirty-third at 27:41. “It was just nice to finish the season on a high note,” said Reutimann.

Next weekend the Williams men travel to Babson to race the New England regional championships. The top four teams in this race earn the right to go on and compete at the national championships. Williams should face good competition from M.I.T., Brandeis, and Tufts.