Ephs topple Lord Jeffs; lose to Conn

The Women’s Soccer team ended their season on Sunday with a 1-0 loss to the Connecticut Camels in the second round of the NCAA tournament in Wayne, NJ. The loss came a day after the second-seeded Ephs defeated Amherst College in penalty kicks 3-2. The Ephs finished the season with a 12-1-3 record and their fifth NCAA tournament appearance since NESCAC teams were approved for play in the post-season tournament.

After defeating Connecticut last Saturday 1-0 on a goal by Jill Caterer ’00 in the final game of the regular season, the Ephs failed to capitalize on their possession time to score this Sunday, despite nine shots and a goal called back midway through the first half. The lone goal of the game came with 17:50 left in the game. Connecticut senior Caroline Davis had a corner kick that Kim-An Hernandez headed into the net past Eph goalie Laura Brenneman ’99. Davis and Hernandez lead the NESCAC in scoring this year, and the goal was only the fifth Brenneman has allowed this season.

Williams Coach Lisa Melendy remarked that the seniors stepped up their game, noting that Courtney Stokes ’99, Nikki Strauss ’99, Jenny Powers ’99, Katie Walsh ’99 and Brenneman played their best game of the season, if not their four years at Williams. Brenneman had seven saves in the game, and each team had five corner kicks.

On Saturday, Connecticut, seeded fourth in the Metro region, upset first-seeded William Patterson 2-1 in double overtime to advance to the game against Williams. The Camels, with a record of 12-4, will continue on to play Mid-Atlantic winner College of New Jersey this weekend.

In the game against Amherst on Saturday, after regulation and two overtimes, both teams remained scoreless. Brenneman stopped 12 Amherst shots, the most crucial coming against an Amherst penalty kick with three minutes left in the second overtime. Lady Jeff Genevieve Furst ’00 shot the ball, which Brenneman hit off the post. Although the ball was loose in the box, Stokes managed to clear the ball and avert another shot. Amherst goalie Katie Connelly ’00 saved seven Williams shots.

After 120 minutes, the game went to penalty shots. Williams goalie Rebecca Brooks ’00 replaced Brenneman in goal. Coach Melandy noted Brooks’greater reach and the intention throughout the game to use her in a shoot-out situation. The first Amherst player scored, and Caterer’s shot for Williams hit the post to give Amherst a 1-0 lead after the first round.

The next shooter, Amherst goalie Connelly, shot the ball over the post while Eph Marlene Bonasera ’02 scored to tie up the shoot-out. Next, both Amherst’s player and Williams’ Cameron Walker ’01 scored. Furst then missed her shot against Brooks, while Ann Brophy ’00 scored the eventual game-winning goal.

In Amherst’s final chance, captain Eliza Meade ’99’s shot was blocked by a right dive by Brooks. Earlier in the season, Williams defeated Amherst (9-4-2) 2-1 in overtime at Amherst.