One in 2000: Sarah Barger

Residence: East 1

Hometown: Tacoma, WA

Hometown Hero: Steve Miller

Favorite Book: Rabbit Run by John Updike

Favorite 5 albums: U2 “The Joshua Tree,” Dave Matthews “Crash” and “Under the Table and Dreaming,” R.E.M. “Automatic for the People,” Puff Daddy and the Family “No Way Out.”

Williams College rule you’d most like to break.

I’d like to own a snake. I love snakes. I’ve had snakes since I was five.

Big snakes?

One snake grew to eight feet long. That was the longest I had. I never had a boa constrictor, or anything huge. The one I had the longest was a California King Snake, but I also had an Orange Rat Snake.

Do you ever feel isolated at Williams?

No. I’ve only been here for two months, so the year’s still pretty young. I haven’t felt isolated yet.

Do you think that people at Williams are lonelier than most people? Indeed, do you think feelings of alienation are necessary results of thoughtful self-examination?

No. I think we’re [geographically] isolated, which may make us appear more lonely, but I don’t think as individuals that we are. But then I haven’t been through the Northeastern winter yet. But especially compared to people I’ve talked to from other colleges, since I’m still in my intro period, the people here feel less isolated or lonely because there’s this small community. You recognize a lot of people already.

The same people… for four years…

Yeah, see, I’ve only been here for two months, so it’s good. It’s comforting.

Do you feel that you have a unified class here?

So far, yes. There has been lots of effort that has on the whole been well received.

What sorts of experiences do you think all Williams students have in common?

If there’s someone in class with you, no matter what year they are you can always catch them on the way out and talk to them about class. Discussion about courses or all kinds of intellectual endeavors are always available to everybody, and you can always strike up a conversation.

What’s the best Williams event you’ve attended this year?

East and Fay had a party together and every entry had a different theme. We were Hell, East 2 was Purgatory and East 3 was Heaven. So we all dressed up in red and black and it was a lot of fun.

How was your Halloween?

It was good, I played in an Ultimate Frisbee tournament at Brown. I got back at 10, but I was kind of tired so I watched “Scream” and “Scream 2” which lowered my IQ by 40 points, but it was fun.

So you didn’t dress up as anything?

The Women’s Ultimate Team dressed up like Braveheart, with kilts and the swath across our chests, but once I got back here I put on pants.

If you could decorate your house with paintings from WCMA, what kind of paintings would you choose?

I like Monet a lot; I like landscapes, but I like some modern stuff as well.

How do you feel about performance art?

I think it’s good. I’m pro-performance art.

Registration began on Monday for the spring semester, are you pretty much staying with what you pre-registered for or are you going to be changing all of your classes?

I have one class that I’m sticking with.

What do you think that says about your personality?

It just means that I’ve heard a lot about professors and classes and I’ve taken a couple – found out what I don’t want to take.

And you’re a free-thinker and flexible?

And I’m a free-thinker and flexible.

What do you want for dinner tonight?

There’s an incredible Greek place in Tacoma, and they serve the best gyros in the world. It’s called “It’s Greek to Me.” So I’d get a veggie Gyro if I could. I got a gyro in Boston a couple weeks ago and it was crap.

I noticed The New York Times there on your table and I was wondering if you could give me an outsider’s view on Senator Alphonse D’Amato?

He does seem kind of creepy.

What’s that behind you?

I don’t know, what?

You just missed it.

[Jeepers!]