Field hockey huge in OT win over Springfield

The Williams field hockey team played their final games this week, ending their season with a record of 6-8. On Saturday they played their final game against Connecticut College, losing despite a vigorous effort on behalf of the Ephwomen. Conn struck early, scoring only three minutes into the contest, and the Williams defense held them for the remainder of the game. Williams was unable to get many shots off, keeping the ball at midfield for much of the match. It was a tight battle between the two teams, but the Ephs were unable to manage a goal, losing 1-0.

Earlier in the week Williams played their final home game and came up with a huge win. Defeating the seventh team in the nation, Springfield College, the Ephs’ overtime experience paid off in their 3-2 triumph. Springfield started the scoring six minutes in, and struck again halfway through the first half. Losing 2-0, the Ephs began to step up their intensity and put the pressure on Springfield, both offensively and defensively. With only two minutes remaining in the first half, Robin Severud ’00 netted Williams’ first goal to get them on the scoreboard before halftime.

Williams came out of the halftime break and brought their play to a new level, combining a heavy offensive attack with a solid defense. With less than five minutes left in regulation, Catherine Polisi ’99 scored, assisted by Cara Heintz ’00, tying the score at two each. Able to hold Springfield defensively for the remaining minutes, the Ephs entered into their sixth sudden death overtime of the season. Their experience proved helpful as Williams immediately began to dominate. Severud scored her second goal off an assist from Molly Venter ’02 to give the Ephs a 3-2 win.

In the net for Williams was goalie Tailer Senior ’01, who collected five saves during the game. It was a sweet win for the seniors as the team put forth a mighty effort in their final home game of the year on Cole Field.