Dominant men’s CC ranked 3rd nationally

This weekend the Williams men’s cross-country team gave a strong display of why they’re the third ranked team in the nation. On Sunday the NESCAC Cross Country championships were held at Trinity’s home course at Wickham Park outside Hartford. Once again, the Ephs demolished the competition by defeating their next closest competitor by 38 points.

Leading the way for Williams were senior co-captains Dan McCue and Paul Alsdorf. McCue and Alsdorf finished second and third respectively in times of 25:17 and 25:19. “We ran together the entire way,” said McCue. “It was just a great example of how teamwork can work in cross country.”

Coming in next for the Ephmen were the two Tennessee-bred runners, Jeffrey Edmonds ’99 and Andy Anderson ’99. These two seniors have been racing together successfully since High School and Sunday was another one to add to their impressive scrapbook. Edmonds and Anderson finished sixth and eighth in 25:43 and 25:56. “Well, the weather was a little different from back home, but the result was the same,” remarked Edmonds.

Rounding out the top five was sophomore standout Dusty Lopez in eleventh at 26:15. “I just kept thinking of my namesake, Dusty Springfield. I guess I’m just blessed as the son of a preacher man,” said Lopez. Geoff Hutchison ’99 also ran strong to make the all-NESCAC team in thirteenth place. Hutchison was able to battle through the race after taking a fall back on the course. Appearing bloodied and battered he valiantly ran strong to finish in 26:23. His only comment after the race was, “Ouch.” Tim Campbell ’01 was Williams’ seventh man.

In the overall lead was Amherst’s Robert Mitchell. The top three runners were able to destroy the course record. “The guys ran great. It’s fantastic that it’s going to be such a tough decision of who is in the top seven,” said coach Peter Farwell. Championship season continues next week with the Ephs travelling to Tufts to compete at the ECAC championships.