Women’s CC runs over the competition

Domination is the only way to describe the women’s cross country performance at the Little Three Championships as they were the overwhelming winners of the race this past Saturday. When the points were tallied, Williams was one place away from a perfect score, finishing their five scoring runners in places two through six for a total of 20 points compared to second place Amherst (46) and third place Wesleyan (76).

The overall winner of the race was Amherst first year Katie Scangos, who finished with a time of 18:58. But after that, it was all Williams. Leading the Eph contingent was Courtney Bennigson ’01, second in 19:10. On her heels were Lauren Krisko ’00, third (19:13), Lauren Wiener ’01, fourth (19:14), tri-captain Meg Randall ’99 , fifth (19:15) and Deb Frisone ’00, sixth (19:25). Rounding out the top seven for Williams were Tara Crowley ’00, eigth (19:38), and the surprise of the day, Maywa Montenegro ’01, tenth in 19:54.

The course consisted of three loops that overlapped each other. While the course did contain some rolling hills, the times were slowed by a terrain that consisted primarily of wood chips.

The close placing was indicative of the team’s effort to pack together and run as a team. “It was definitely good to see us working well as a team,” Randall said. “Close placing is the way teams win races. This is the time of the season when the team effort is so crucial as we move towards NESCAC’s.”

Others Ephs with notable performances were Terri O’Brien ’02, thirteenth (20:06), Julie Cantatore ’99, fourteeth (20:07), and Kate Dreher ’99, fifteenth (20:09).

“One of the best things to watch at this point in the season is the fact that people from the back are stepping it up and having great races. It is inspiration to us all,” Randall said.

Last week, the team went to Boston’s Franklin Park to race in the All New England Championships. The contingent of teams numbered approximately 42 which included Division I powerhouses like Providence and Dartmouth. Providence won the meet with a close-to-perfect score of 21 points. However, the Ephs made a respectable showing finishing 10th, 2nd out of the Division III schools as NESCAC rival Middlebury beat them by a mere seven points.

Leading the way for the Ephs once again, Bennigson finished thirty-eigth (18:29). She was the fifth Division III finisher. The next Williams women through the chute were Krisko, fifty-ninth (18:42), Wiener, sixty-sixth (18:46), Randall, seventy-second (18:50), Crowley, ninety-fourth (19:04), Frisone, ninety-eigth (19:07), and Sandra DiPillo ’01, one hundred-thirteeth (19:20). The flat fast course made for great performances as Krisko, Wiener, Crowley, and DiPillo all ran personal bests.

On Sunday, the Ephs travel to Trinity University in Hartford, Connecticut to defend their NESCAC title against a very strong Middlebury team and the rest of NESCAC.