Tufts proves no match for Eph football

It is said that to truly succeed one must overcome some type of adversity along the path to glory. So far that season this axiom hasn’t held for the Williams College football team. They have avoided all adversity en route to a perfect 5-0 record and a first place position in the NESCAC, in front of Wesleyan, Amherst and Tufts. The Williams team has never trailed in a ball game and is averaging almost 37 offensive points a game.

The latest victim for the Ephs was a previously undefeated Tufts team playing in their homecoming game. Though this battle of unbeatens was built to be a fierce match- up between two powerful teams, it was practically over before it even started. As the final seconds ticked off the clock the scoreboard read 42-7 in favor of the Ephs. “It was like they didn’t even show up,” said tri-captain Matt Sigrist ’99. “They’d been talking all week about how they were the more physical team. We knew we had to respond to the challenge. What an embarrassing showcase for them in such a big game.”

Williams moved the ball effectively in the air and on the ground all afternoon and took advantage of multiple turnovers by Tufts to rack up the 42 points. For the second time in as many weeks Fred Storz ’01 rushed for over 150 yards. Storz led all scorers with a remarkable four touchdowns on the ground. On his huge day Storz said, “these are the games that I love. When they talk about you it gives you more motivation to play hard. You have to stand up for yourself.”

On Williams’ second possession Storz punched in the first touchdown from one yard out. Sean Keenan ’00 then connected at the end of the first quarter with Mike Paolercio ’00 from 20 yards out to up the lead to 14-0. In the second quarter the Eph offense yielded to the swarming defense to continue the domination of Tufts. On two consecutive series Williams defenders scooped up fumbles deep in the Jumbos’ territory setting up two more first half scores. Cornerback Mike Hickey ’00 recovered the first and linebacker Chris Hale ’00 grabbed the second.

The first tally was through a bit of deception on the Eph’s part. Faking a field goal on fourth down, Dan DiCenzo ’01 took the snap and ran it in from 10 yards out. The second score was another one-yard plunge by Storz.

Though Tufts got a late score in the first half, the Ephs thoroughly dominated the first 30 minutes of competition. Storz ran for 100 yards before halftime, and the defense forced three turnovers.

The Ephs didn’t let up after halftime and continued to rip apart the soon to be 4-1 Jumbos. Storz took two more runs in for touchdowns, and Keenan kept throwing on target. Keenan finished completing 19 of 27 passes for 259 yards.

“We had no set game plan going into the game,” said head Coach Dick Farley. “It was a matter of us coming out at the right time and getting off to a good start.” Farley also added that he was happy to see his offense getting many second chances.

A week earlier at home against Middlebury the Ephs showed why they are the top team in the league. Though the team gave up 14 points, the most of the season, both of the Panther scores came as the result of kicking mistakes. A flubbed kickoff and punt gave Middlebury excellent field position and set them up for easy scores. Williams was unfazed, though, and won the game with an effective balance between rushing and passing. Storz led the team with a season high 210 yards on the ground. Sigrist added two touchdowns and 103 receiving yards.

John Berry ’00 scored his second defensive touchdown on the year with a 42-yard interception return in the first quarter. Chad d’Entremont ’99 led the defense with seven tackles and Chris Hale contributed six.

The win was career victory number 77 for Coach Dick Farley, making him the all-time winningest coach in Williams history. [see article page 1].

This Saturday the Ephs will look to move to 6-0 when they face the winless Hamilton Continentals in Clinton, NY at 1:30 PM.