Men’s soccer on fire, topples Amherst

The Williams men’s soccer team improved their season record to 10-1-0 as they shutout the Tufts University Jumbos by a score of 1-0 bringing Tufts’ record to 6-5-0. The Ephs have been on a tear lately and are in the midst of a streak that has held other teams scoreless for six and a half games.

Williams’ one goal against Tufts came late in the second half as Josef Powell ’02 scored assisted by Nick Trebat ’99 and Steve Danbusky ’99 at the 81:27 mark. Goalie Ryan Spicer ’01 had four saves for Williams. Tufts managed to outshoot Williams 9-6, but they were unable to capitalize on any of their shots and the Ephs were able to come away with the win.

The previous weekend the Ephs shutout the Clark University Cougars by a score of 8-0, bringing Clark’s record to 5-5-0. “I was a little worried that we would be drained after playing Amherst yesterday,” commented Williams’ head coach Mike Russo, “but I’m pleased that we came out as strong as we did. Clark beat us 1-0 last year, and we weren’t sure what to expect from them this year.”

Williams came out extremely strong in the first half and went into the second half with a 6-0 lead. The first goal of the game came at the 6:04 mark, as Danbusky drilled in a direct kick from 25 yards out. The Ephs scored again 24:08 into the game, as Angelo Patentas ’99 dished the ball across the net to Jason Stojkovic ’00, who tipped it into the near post. Williams went on to tally four more goals before the end of the half. Scoring for the Ephs were Christian Dankers ’99, Patentas (2), and Jon Trementozzi ’00.

The Ephs came out with the intent to possess the ball in the second half, and that’s just what they did. Scoring for Williams were Ted Giannacopoulos ’02 and Trementozzi. Williams outshot their opponents 31-10.

Spicer had three saves in goal during the first half. Spicer was relieved by Neal Appleman ’00 for the second half.

Foreshadowing these two big wins was a huge 1-0 victory for the Ephs over arch-rival Amherst College on Oct. 17, bringing the Lord Jeff’s record to 8-2-0. “I thought we played very well at the start of the second half,” Williams’ head coach Mike Russo said in response to the game, “we really came at them, but we just couldn’t finish.” The game winning goal came 73:38 into the game, as Richard Bode ’02 rebounded a shot from about 18 yards out and drilled it past Amherst goalkeeper Kevin Larner. Spicer had one save, and Larner had two.

Commenting on the game Danbusky expressed his optimism saying, “ We met them the last game of the season last year and we knew before hand that the winner would go to NCAA’s, so when they beat us 2-1 in overtime, it left a very bitter taste in our mouths. As far as this year was concerned, we weren’t about to let that happen again.”

As the Ephs finish out the season Danbusky commented that, “the team is coming together and we are all working for each other and for the coaches. We are on a roll, and we would like to keep that roll going as long as possible.

The Ephs next match is tomorrow at home against Massachusetts College for Liberal Arts at 3:15 p.m.