Men’s CC blazes through NE’s

On Saturday, the Williams Men’s Cross Country team traveled to Wesleyan’s Veterans Park to defend their Little Three title. Once again, the Ephmen did not disappoint, defeating Amherst and Wesleyan by 20 and 51 points respectively. Williams had 12 of the top 17 runners.

Leading the way were senior standouts Jeffrey Edmonds, co-captain Paul Alsdorf and co-captain Dan McCue in a time of 26:45. These three intrepid harriers crossed the line together tied for second place to Amherst’s Robert Mitchell. “We were trying to run together as a pack,” noted McCue. “It was really great to come in together at our last Little Three.”

Next across the line for the Ephmen was Dusty Lopez ’01. Lopez cruised across the line a mere six seconds behind the seniors to finish fifth. “This season has been pretty good to me,” remarked Lopez. “I think a lot of it has to do with the desserts that I’ve given up. It may be the difference.”

Rounding out the top seven for the Ephs were Shad Miller ’00,who finished eighth in 27:06, Yuneng Li ’99, who finished tenth in 27:36 for tenth and senior Herbert Anderson, who finished eleventh in 27:42.

Williams was also involved the annual all New England championships the previous weekend. Racing without Alsdorf, Williams was still able to defeat all other Division III competition and finish eighth overall as a team. McCue led the way in ninth place as the first Division III runner across the line in 24:30. Jeffrey Edmonds was next in for Williams in forty-fourth at 25:20. “It was great to be able to beat all the Div III teams even without Paul [Alsdorf],” Edmonds said. “It just shows how much depth we have.”

On Sunday the Ephs will travel to Hartford for the NESCAC championship meet.