Field hockey breaks their skid

It was a tough two weeks for the field hockey team as they faced two top ten nationally ranked teams and lost four out of their five games. Williams snapped their losing streak on Sunday, when they defeated Bates 1-0. Despite their exhaustion from Saturday’s game the Ephs were able to play well. Coach Chris Mason said “There was a lot of back and forth action. It was a very exciting game; both teams played very well.” Both teams battled for control throughout the first half, but with little time remaining Lyssa Castonguay ’01 netted the only goal to give Williams their fifth won of the season.

Saturday the Ephs challenged Tufts, the number nine team nationally, and lost 2-0. There was a strong offensive attack by the Ephs, but they were unable to produce, mostly due to the tenacious defense of the Jumbos. Tufts scored first with just over twenty minutes remaining in the first half. The score was 1-0 at the start of the second half, and Williams was able to hold Tufts until just under two minutes left in the game, when the Jumbos scored their second goal.

Williams also faced Skidmore earlier in the week, losing a tough game 1-0. The Eph defense put up a strong front for most of the first half, but with about seven minutes remaining Skidmore was able to break through and shoot one past the Williams goalie. This gave them the halftime lead, but in the second half the Ephs put on more offensive pressure, however they were still unable to produce many shots. Tailer Senior ’01 had seven saves for the Ephs.

Two weeks ago the field hockey team met rivals Amherst, and despite a good effort, fell two goals to one. The Jeffs struck first, scoring five minutes into the game, but the Ephs answered with a goal a few minutes later. Alexis Scott ’00 scored off an assist from Katie Bishop ’00 to send the game to halftime tied at one. Many offensive attacks forced the Ephs’ defense to step up in the second half, with Eph goalie Senior producing eleven of her twelve saves during the second half. However a penalty shot very late in the game gave Amherst the chance they needed, giving them their second goal and the win.

Earlier that week the Ephs met one of their toughest opponents, Middlebury, the fifth-ranked team in the nation. The first half was scoreless as the two teams fought for control. The second half began with the teams battling again, but the rainy weather took its toll on the Ephs as Middlebury scored the first goal. A short time later the weather forced about a twenty minute delay, and the Panthers came out on fire, adding three more goals. Williams got on the board with a goal by Scott assisted by Pheobe Drinker ’01.

The Ephs next play at home on Tuesday against Springfield as they try to improve their 5-7 record.