Ephs remain strong force in tourneys

Women’s Volleyball continues to roll over its opponents, defeating nine of the ten teams they have played in the last two weeks. The latest Eph victories came at the Hall of Fame Tournament at Mt. Holyoke College, where they reached the finals of the tournament before falling to undefeated Wellesley for the third time in the season and bringing their season record to 23-3.

Wellesley, ranked tenth in the nation, defeated Williams 15-6, 15-11, 15-5 in the finals of the tournament on Saturday. Earlier in the day against Amherst, the Ephs and the Lord Jeffs battled to five games for the third time in three meetings. Once again the Ephs prevailed, suppressing the Amherst comeback to win 15-11, 15-14, 11-15, 13-15, 15-9. Amy Greifenstein ’99 had 27 kills, three aces and five blocks in the tough match, Katie Ford ’00 contributed 15 kills and 24 digs, and Shekinah Cohn ’01 continued her impressive defensive effort this season, recording 29 digs. Playing with an injured wrist, starting setter Christine Whitcraft ’99 had 60 assists.

To reach the semi-finals, Williams defeated Mt. Holyoke 15-7, 15-3, 15-5 with the team compiling 15 aces, and Wheaton College 11-15, 15-5, 15-9, 15-13 on Friday night. In the game against Wheaton, Kristine Taylor ’01 and Tenaya Plowman ’02 stepped in as setters to replace Whitcraft, who injured her wrist playing Mt. Holyoke. Playing as setter for the first time, Taylor recorded 26 assists, with Plowman adding 17. All-American candidate Greifenstein continued her stellar season, with 15 kills and eight blocks in the match. Rounding out the solid Eph effort were Taylor, Cohn, and Kelley Powell ’99 each recording ten kills.

On October 21, the Ephs fought back against the Middlebury Panthers to win 10-15, 15-7, 15-1, 15-11. Cohn tallied an incredible 42 digs, with Greifenstein recording 14 kills and Powell notching ten. Coach Pat Manning commented on the aggressive serving of the team, which helped the comeback succeed. At Middlebury on October 17th for the NESCAC Quad, Williams defeated Bowdoin, Middlebury, and Hamilton. The victory over Hamilton was quick, with the Ephs sweeping 15-2, 15-8, 16-14. In the third game, with Williams down 8-14, Greifenstein reentered the match and scored eight consecutive points with her aggressive jump serve to put away the match. Against Middlebury, the Ephs won 15-4, 15-11, 12-15, 15-13, with 15 kills each from Greifenstein and Ford, and 33 digs by Cohn. The Bowdoin game ended as quickly as the Hamilton match did, with scores of 15-5, 16-14, 15-7. Ford dominated the match with nine kills and 17 digs.

At their last home game on October 15 against Smith, the Ephs again prevailed, winning 15-0, 15-6, 12-15, 15-8. Whitcraft had 41 assists, Ford 12 kills, Powell ten kills and Cohn nine. Greifenstein recorded 16 kills, which along with her great serving effort aided the Eph win. Two days earlier, the Ephs took only 37 minutes to defeat Westfield State in Chandler Gymnasium 15-0, 15-9, 15-4. All Ephwomen took the floor for the match, which showcased Williams’ potential for upcoming seasons. Taylor’s 12 serving points included five aces, and Susie Kaldis ’02 contributed three aces along with three kills and seven digs. First-year Amber Moore dominated, allowing no points in her play in the second game. Coach Manning was impressed with the steady play of the team in the third game, especially Kaldis and Moore.

With a game at Vassar on Wednesday and Little Three’s at Amherst on Saturday, October 31, the Ephs look to continue their impressive season. Greifenstein has been named NESCAC Player of the Week twice this year, while Powell has been awarded the honor once. The seniors on the team, Greifenstein, Powell and Whitcraft, have proven the most successful class in Williams Volleyball season with an overall record of 112-19.