Women’s tennis aces Wesleyan, Middlebury, ITA

Playing indoors due to the rain, the Williams tennis team (6-0) defeated Little Three rivals Wesleyan (7-1) by a score of 5-4. In singles play, Williams and Wesleyan split the matches taking three apiece.

Williams’ Jasmine Bradley ’02 beat the Cardinals’ Stacia Poules 6-2, 6-0 in the number one match while classmate Selma Kikic ’02 defeated Kelly Schunk 6-1, 6-2. The fifth place match also went to the Ephs as Daphne King ’99 prevailed 6-1, 6-1 over Wesleyan’s Claudia Makadon.

Wesleyan took the number three match as Tarsah Dale defeated Lindsay Morehouse ’00 6-3, 6-0. Alison Rosner came back strong after dropping a first set to Sarah Kline ’99 to ultimately win 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Finally, playing in the number six singles match, Rachel Sigman prevailed in a tough first set over Alison Swain ’01 and went on to win the match 7-6 (tiebreaker 7-2), 6-3.

The doubles play was also fairly evenly matched. In the number one match, Bradley and Kikic topped their Wesleyan rivals, Poules and Sigman by a score of 8-4. After the match Kikic commented that, “we both love playing doubles and we feel comfortable coming to the net which is key.”

The number two match went the other way though, with Wesleyan’s Dale and Schunk defeating Ephs King and Morehouse 8-5. The third match swayed the victory in Williams’ direction, however. Swain and Tyler Lewis ’99 defeated Cardinals Makadon and Rosner 8-1.

Earlier in the week Williams continued their top-notch play, defeating Middlebury 8-1.In singles play, Bradley beat the Panther’s Hilary Johnson in the number one match-up 6-0, 6-1. Kikic also won in straight sets in the number two slot 6-1, 6-1. Playing number three, Morehouse won in a three set match against Heather Robinson 3-6, 7-5, 6-4. Kline lost to Amy Lucke 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 at number four. In the number five slot, King won in straight sets over Lindsay Ericson 6-0, 6-1. Rounding out the singles matches, Swain defeated Jamie Kassis 6-1, 6-1.

The Ephs were equally strong in the doubles matches. The number one team of Bradley and Kikic beat the team of Kassis and Johnson 8-1. The number two team of King and Morehouse, topped Robinson and Lucke 8-5. To complete the doubles sweep, Swain and Lewis won easily over Kyle Wheale and Jennifer Grillo 8-1.

On October 5th, Williams College’s own Morehouse and King captured the women’s doubles title at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) New England Regional. Morehouse and King will join the nation’s top small college tennis players at thew 1998 Rolex National Small College Championships, presented by the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and administered by the ITA, October 22-25 in Memphis. The ITA tournament is a highly competitive tournament in which individuals compete in a singles draw or a doubles draw, but not as a team. The Williams participants invited to play in this event along with Morehouse and King were Bradley, Kikic and Kline. Between the five of them, they brought home two automatic All-American bids, one first place title, two runner-up titles, and one consolation title.

“The weekend was great for the team. It gave us all confidence in our depth and generated momentum we will carry through the season,” said Coach Julie Greenwood. The singles tournament began with 32 players, including Williams’ Bradley, Kikic, Morehouse, and Kline.

Bradley won her first three matches in straight sets and then lost to teammate Kikic in the semifinal round 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.

Kikic beat Kanta Murali of Smith, the number one seed, in the quarterfinals 6-4, 6-2, Bradley in the semifinals. Kikic ‘s run finally ended against Jamie Cohen of Amherst, the number two seed, in the finals 4-6,4-6 to earn her a second place finish.

Morehouse lost her first round match, but went on to win the consolation final bracket. Kline lost her first match to Alex Young of Wellesley, the number eight seed, and lost in the consolation bracket to Lauren Geist of Brandeis 8-2.

In doubles play, Williams entered two teams: Bradley/Kikic and King/Morehouse. The teams successfully advanced through the 23-team bracket and faced one another in the final. The team of King and Morehouse, usually the Williams number two team, won the final match 6-4, 6-2, earning them automatic All-American status.

After the Ephs continued success, Coach Greenwood said, “I couldn’t be more proud of our team effort as a whole, and I am looking forward to the rest of the season, especially Amherst.” Kikac was also looking forward to the Amherst contest saying, “the team is working really hard and we all seem to be playing good, competitive tennis. I think we are ready to get back at Amherst after losing to them the past few times. Ultimately, however, what puts us on top is the fact that we really enjoy what we do, and we have fun while competing.

The Ephs play next on October 17 at Amherst.