Volleyball digs out two wins

Women’s Volleyball continued their New England dominance this week, rolling past St. Anselm’s on Saturday and St. Joseph’s of Connecticut on Wednesday.

Against St. Anselm’s in the Williams Fall Classic, Williams easily defeated the Division II team 15-3, 15-8, 15-11. Shekinah Cohn ’01 paced the team with consistent overall play finishing with 11 digs. In the second game, Kristine Taylor ’01 had ten digs, seven kills and two blocks and Katie Ford ’00’s ten digs and six kills brought the game to a close. In the third game, St. Anselm’s jumped out to an early lead before the Ephs finished them off with 15 unanswered points. Amy Greifenstein ’99 continued her noteworthy play this season with 11 kills in the match.

St. Joe’s provided little competition for the Ephs, and all members of the Williams squad saw playing time as Williams defeated them 3-0. Williams won the first game 15-6, and six aces by Christine Whitcraft ’99 in the second game led the way to a 15-2 win. In the third game, Williams replaced its starters with the bench, who also outplayed St. Joe’s. Although St. Joe’s kept the match close, a kill by first year Amber Moore changed the tide of the game. Strong serving by Susie Kaldis ’02 helped the Ephs break away from St. Joe’s and finish the match 15-11. Kaldis had five kills, as did Carolyn Ryan ’01, who played impressively at net.

The team’s only two losses of the season came at the hands of nationally ranked Wellesley. They play again Tuesday at 7PM in Chandler against Westfield before senior tri-captains Greifenstein, Whitcraft and Kelley Powell’s last home game Thursday at 7:00 p.m. against Smith College.