Undefeated women’s soccer cruises by Bates, Springfield

The Williams women’s soccer team fought inclement weather in victories over Bates and Springfield, improving their record for the season to 8-0, and extending their winning streak to twelve games.

On October 10, the team visited NESCAC rival Bates. The horrible Maine weather played a prominent role in the tempo of the game, as torrential downpours prevented either team from mounting a well-orchestrated attack. “It was a mess,” said Williams coach Lisa Melendy. “There were puddles of standing water and the ball would just stop. There was no dribbling, no short passes. It was all long passes.”

Bates scored first, as forward Kate O’Malley scored on a ball in the box with a turn shot five minutes into the first half. Williams knotted the score at 1-1 early in the second half on a goal by Michelle Kovacs ’01, assisted by Cameron Walker ’01. Neither team was able to score again in regulation, and the game went to overtime. Early in the overtime period, senior Jill Caterer’s corner kick bounced off of a group of five players into the net, clinching a 2-1 victory. Caterer was credited with her team-leading fifth goal of the year. Laura Brenneman ’99 earned the victory in goal for the Ephs, improving her record to 6-0-0.

Two days earlier, the Ephs won another game in rainy weather, defeating Springfield 2-0 at Cole Field. Williams was clearly superior to the outmatched Pride, combining crisp passing on offense with a stifling defense. Williams scored first, as Caterer scored on a pass from Meghan Cleary ’00 with 12:13 remaining in the first half. The Ephs added to their 1-0 lead when Katie Bolduc ’01 took the ball from midfield and fired a shot into the upper corner of the goal. Williams dominated much of the game, taking 24 shots on goal while allowing their opponents only 4.

The team looks to extend their winning streak to thirteen games on Tuesday when they visit Union.