Men’s soccer captures two more

Men’s soccer toppled two more opponents this week to bring their record to 6-1, placing themselves in solid position for postseason play. On Wednesday, the Ephs routed Springfield College 5-0. The momentum from the decisive win carried them right through the weekend, as they overcome treacherous weather and a formidable opponent in Bates College to gain a 1-0 victory.

Any skill advantage the Ephs may have had against the Bates Bobcats on Saturday was nullified by torrential rainfall that washed away any intention the Ephs had of playing a controlled game. Passing the ball on the ground was virtually impossible and neither team attempted to do so.

Williams’s strength and pace allowed them to dominate most of the first half, as the Ephs littered the Bates penalty area with several crosses and 8 first-half corner kicks. Massive puddles surrounding the Bates goal-mouth, however, swallowed up the Eph attempts and at halftime the match was tied 0-0.

Bates came out strong for the second half, but superb defending by Eph fullbacks Matt Magiera ’00 and Willie Ouimette ’01 thwarted the Bobcat attack. In the midfield, the Eph senior trio of Nick Swan, Dan Pozen, and Steve Danbusky dominated play. As the second half progressed, however, the Eph attack became increasingly frustrated with the conditions.

Finally, at the 29-minute mark, Williams broke the draw. A handball in the Bates penalty box granted the Ephs a penalty kick, and Captain Steve Danbusky converted with class to give the Ephs the lead.

Bates regrouped and poured on a desperate attack for the final 15 minutes. The young Williams defense, led by goalkeeper Ryan Spicer ’01, showed remarkable poise and held on to secure the victory.

On Wednesday, Williams thoroughly outperformed Springfield 5-0. Nick Trebat opened up the scoring in the first half, capitalizing on a brilliant through ball played to him by midfielder Nick Swan. The half ended 1-0. At the 4-minute mark of the second, Matt Magiera out-jumped three Springfield defenders to head in a Danbusky corner kick for the second goal. Two goals later in the half by Jason Stoickovic ’00 and one by Ted Giannocopolous ’02 finished off Springfield, who have now lost to the Ephs in the last two years by a combined score of 13-0.

Williams’s next opponent is Babson on Wednesday at 4:00 on Cole Field.