Frosh Revue prepares to take humorous look at trials and tribulations of first-years

The Frosh Revue, an event highly anticipated by Williams first-years, will premiere this weekend on October 16. It runs through the weekend and will also be performed seven times during first-year family weekend. The Frosh Revue is a group of ten first-years and five upperclass coordinators who have met regularly since the beginning of school year to create a performance consisting of nine skits and three songs mocking freshman life at Williams.

This year the first-year cast consists of Will Allen, Jessica Bauman, Ivelina Borisova, Liz Dubinsky, Rich Dunn, Ian Lockhart, Caroline Mesmer, Ethan Rutherford, Daniel Schwab, and Michelle Smith. The troupe members were chosen in a highly competitive tryout process that was nearly as vigorous as the Williams admissions process itself. Once chosen, the cast became acquainted by participating in improvisational games; from these exercises a script evolved. The group has spent a great deal of time working together, and it shows in their clearly palpable rapport.

Attempting to foster this rapport are director Seth Earn, assistant director Jason Greenberg, musical director Pat Eagan, choreographer Melissa Vecchio and stage manager Phoebe Geer. The quintet played a large role in the Revue’s writing process and edited the final script. They bring to the show considerable experience: all are former members of the Frosh Revue.

As usual, this year’s Revue will cover frosh-related topics from JAs to snacks to “Mafia family weekend.” However, some newer ideas that the group pursues rely heavily on the elements of surprise and improvisation. Along with the conventional skits, the songs add a different flavor and sense of breadth to the show: one was written by the actors, one by the directors and one by alumni.

The actors bring entusiasm and energy to the program; it is obvious that they are enjoying their first taste of college theatre. Dunn remarked that the Frosh Revue was the “most fun three hours of my day and the best stress reliever. Everyone should come to the show.” Schwab stated, “I think it’s going to be great. We’ve worked really hard and had a lot of fun.” Ian Lockhart said that the Frosh Revue is not aimed solely at a first-year audience, but at the entire student body.

Director Earn said that this weekend is the best time for students to attend, because the following weekend will be oriented towards parents. Performances will be at 8 and 10 p.m. on October 16, 17 and 18, at 8 and 10 p.m. on October 23, at 2, 8 and 10 p.m. on October 24, and at 2 and 8 p.m. on October 25.The show runs for just over an hour. Tickets will be on sale in Baxter mailroom at a cost of $4 for students and $6 for parents.