Field hockey edges out two victories

Against two tough opponents this week, the Williams field hockey team played two more overtime games, continuing a season of tight games decided in the final minutes of play. The team was successful in their overtime play in the beginning of the week, defeating RPI 2-1. On Friday the Ephs traveled to Maine where they suffered a 2-1 loss against the nationally ranked Colby team.

In what coach Chris Mason called “their best game of the season” the Ephs fought hard while challenging a powerful Colby team. An early goal by the Mules did not deflate Williams as they continued to play solidly, not allowing another goal in during the first half. Entering the second half down 1-0, the Ephs played hard and with 13 minutes remaining in regulation scored their first goal. Alexis Scott ‘00 tied the game for Williams, and the Ephs defense was able to hold Colby back for the remainder of regulation play. Going to their fifth sudden-death overtime of the season, the Ephs played hard, but were stopped when a penalty was called a few minutes into overtime. Colby took capitalized and scored the deciding goal. Tailer Senior ‘01 made eight saves in net for the Ephs.

Earlier this week, the Ephs traveled to RPI where they played another close game and won 2-1. Adjusting to playing on artificial turf gave Williams a little trouble in the first few minutes. RPI capitalized on this home team advantage and scored the only goal of the first half. As the game continued, Williams improved and was better able to dominate the game. Despite a disappointing shot total, the Ephs were able to net a goal before the end of regulation play. Cara Heintz ‘00 scored off an assist from Robin Severud ‘00 on a penalty corner. Regulation play ended with the teams locked at one goal apiece, sending the game into an overtime period. Shortly into the period Severud scored off an assist from Catherine Polisi ‘99, giving the Ephs the win.

Weather prevented the Williams from playing their third game of the week against Bates this Saturday, so they ended the week at 4-3. Tomorrow the Ephs face Middlebury at home, and Saturday they travel to Amherst.