Volleyball places second to Wellesley at Bates

At the Bates Invitational this weekend, women’s volleyball replicated last week’s effort at the MIT Invitational, finishing second in the tournament to an unbeaten Wellesley squad.

Facing Wellesley in the finals, the Ephs dropped the first two games 15-5 and 15-1, but took the third 15-5 before losing the fourth game 15-4. Amy Greifenstein ’99 recorded ten kills in the match, and Kelley Powell ’99 had six kills. Katie Ford ’00 added 16 digs to the effort. For the second week in a row, Greifenstein was named to the All-Tournament team.

Williams, ranked second in New England by last week’s poll, had an easy path to the finals, sweeping all three teams they played. Repeating last week’s performance against Bates, the Ephs won 16-14, 15-13, 15-5. Once again Greifenstein led the team with 11 kills, 12 digs, five solo blocks and four assisted blocks. Shekinah Cohn ’01’s nine kills and 11 digs and Christine Whitcraft ’99’s 26 assists also paced the win.

Williams defeated St. Joe’s of Maine 15-5, 15-12, 15-3, with even contributions from the team. Greifenstein had 12 kills, Cohn and Powell each had seven kills, and Katie Ford added six kills and eight digs.

Against MIT, ranked fourth in New England, Williams won 15-13, 15-11, 15-8, behind strong play by Ford, who had 15 kills and 11 digs, and 32 assists by Whitcraft. The MIT game was highlighted by strong play from the bench, as many members of the team saw playing time maintaining the team’s high level of play.

The loss to Wellesley, ranked twelfth in the nation and first in New England, brings the Ephs’ record to 12-2. Coach Pat Manning commented on the steady play of Kristine Taylor ’01, who has consistently proven a valuable starting member of the team.

The Ephs face St. Joseph’s of Connecticut at home this Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.