Ephs rebound vs. Trinity

The Williams men’s soccer team defeated Trinity College 5-2 on Saturday to boost their season record to 4-1. The home match against Trinity was a must-win for the Ephs, who were looking to reclaim their status as one of the top teams in NESCAC following a painful loss to Middlebury.

The Ephs got off to a shaky start and Trinity struck first with a goal at the four-minute mark. However, Williams quickly regained their composure, equalizing six minutes later after a goal by Nick Trebat ’99 off a cross from left winger Mike Cortese ’01.

Williams attacked relentlessly for the remainder of the first half and took the lead at the 25-minute mark with a goal by Cortese. Forward Ted Giannacopolous ’02 orchestrated the goal with sharp wing play and a cross to Cortese, who placed the ball into the far side netting.

At the three-minute mark of the second half, Williams increased its lead with yet another elegant goal by Cortese. Senior Dan Pozen ’99 played a nifty chip for Cortese, who dribbled past Bantam sweeper Mike Toth and curled a far-post shot past the keeper.

Trinity, however, refused to wither against the stronger Ephs. Skilled attacking by Bantam forwards Michael Hayes and Chris Fernandes pressured the Eph defense, and 23 minutes into the second half Fernandes narrowed the score to 3-2.

In the end, though, the day belonged to Williams. Richard Bode ’02 and Charlie Mahoney ’01 both scored late in the game, earning the Ephs a resounding 5-2 victory.

The decisive win gave the Ephs a much-needed confidence boost after a grueling overtime loss to Middlebury on Tuesday. Middlebury, a perennial force in NESCAC, defeated the Ephs 1-0 in sudden death, following 115 minutes of gritty and intense play. Outstanding performances by goalkeeper Ryan Spicer ’01 and the rest of the Ephs defense shut the Panthers out in regulation, but a lethargic Eph attack could not break the scoreless tie.

With five minutes left in overtime, star Panther midfielder John Giannacopolous converted on a cross from fellow midfielder Mike Seeley to hand Williams its first loss of the season.

The Ephs’ next opponent will be Springfield College at 4:00 Wednesday on Cole Field.