Ephs put it all together, crush Trinity

A week after dismantling Bowdoin 42-0, the Williams football team again came out strong and took advantage of big plays and a suffocating defense to rout the Trinity Bantams 34-6. The victory improved Williams’ season record to 2-0 and gave head coach Dick Farley his seventy-fifth career win, putting him only two wins away from sitting atop the all-time football wins list at Williams. Farley also improved to 7-5 against Trinity.

Similar to last week’s trouncing, the Ephs used a high-scoring first half to cruise to victory.

When the two teams went to the locker room on Saturday, the Ephs held a comfortable 27-0 lead. The early Williams scores came from a variety of sources. Running back Fred Storz ’01 completed the Ephs’ first drive with a short touchdown run.

Later in the first quarter, Dan DiCenzo ’01 scooped up a Trinity fumble deep in Ephs territory and ran it back 18 yards for a score. With sophomore Bob Kaufman’s extra point, Williams took a 14-0 lead.

The Williams offense quickly tallied another touchdown on their next possession when quarterback Sean Keenan ’00 hit tight end David Nemeskal ’99 in the end zone for six points. Keenan, who was described by receiver extraordinaire Matt Sigrist ’99 as “the man”, finished the day with 197 yards completing 13 of 18 passes. The following extra point was no good.

In the second quarter the Ephs showed a bit of deception and caught the Bantam defenders off guard. On a halfback option play, Storz tossed a long pass to Sigrist in the back of the end zone. It was one of Sigrist’s six catches of the afternoon, which together totaled 132 yards.

The final score for Williams was on a short run by Paul Bethe ’00 in the third quarter. Trinity finally got on the board with a quarterback keeper for a touchdown by Liam McNeilly late in the third. However, by this point, the game was already decided.

While the offense was busy racking up points against an overmatched Trinity defense, the Williams defense came up with another dominant performance. The six points scored late by Trinity were the first allowed by the Ephs this season. The run defense kept each of the Bantam running backs under 15 yards on the game, and the pass defense snagged five interceptions.

Linebacker Steve Bradley ’99 felt that the defensive success was “truly a team effort. We also got great run support from the secondary, especially strong safety DiCenzo,” said Bradley.

“We forced a running team to pass, and they’re not used to doing that,” commented cornerback and tri-captain John Berry ’00, adding that based on past history, “this game was one of the toughest on the Ephs schedule.” The game included a bit of personal redemption for Berry, who sustained a serious knee injury in last year’s Trinity game. “We knew we had to force ourselves to accept the challenge, and we did that by preparing for everything they could possibly throw at us,” said Berry.

Berry also feels that the big victory is definitely a stepping stone for the team, explaining that “we were the initiators this week, and that gives us lots of confidence. As long as we don’t get over-confident, this team has the potential of doing great things.”

Tri-captain Sigrist said, “it felt awesome to really stick it to them. Trinity is still a good football team, and this win means a lot.” On going into next week’s match up against Bates College, Sigrist commented that “Bates is a much-improved team. We must not become complacent.”

The Ephs’ first road game of the season will be held on Saturday, October 10, in Lewiston, Maine. Kickoff is at 1:30 p.m.