Cross country outruns alums

Saturday afternoon the men’s cross-country team squared off against some of their alumni to determine bragging rights for the upcoming year. Once more, senior co-captains Dan McCue and Paul Alsdorf led the varsity squad to victory. The current Ephmen swept the first five places en route to a perfect score of 15.

McCue crossed the line first in a fine time of 20:39. “It was an absolutely fabulous day for a race. No wind, not too warm. The conditions also made it a bit easier on the old guys,” remarked McCue. Close on his heels was Alsdorf,who was being pursued by seniors Andy Anderson and Jeffrey Edmonds. Jay Slowik ‘01 came in next round out the top five.

Representing the alums at the front of the race were former national champions Jeremy Perry ’95 and Marzuki Stevens ’95. Perry was Division III cross-country national champion and Stevens was the two-time Division III national champion in the 3000 meter steeplechase. Said Perry, “It’s just like I remember it, only I’m older now. Funny how that seems to make a difference.” Perry is currently in medical school at Vanderbilt and will be training for the U.S. Olympic team in the modern pentathlon. Stevens works at the Buxton School where he teaches mathematics and photography and coaches soccer.

The race began in the science quad and went out towards the Clark Art Museum and into a loop in the golf course. The 4.1 mile course gave the intrepid harriers a break from their usual distance of 5 miles. “We like to break up the routine a little bit with a different type race,” said Coach Pete Farwell ’73. “It also gives the rest of campus an opportunity to see these guys run.”

This meet was the last home cross-country meet of the season for the Ephmen. Next week, the team travels to Dickinson in Carlisle, PA to race on the course where the national meet will be held.