Crew debuts well at Riverside Boat Club

With promising finishes in all events, the Williams Crew Team started the ’98-’99 season successfully.

The Varsity Women’s Four rowed to a fourth place finish among a field of 25 crews. With a time of 21.52, the women finished just behind the winning team from UMass (21.11), and crews from the Coast Guard (21.22), and NESCAC rival Bowdoin College (21.34).

The Varsity Women’s Eight had the fastest time of all boats entered in the Open 8, but was unfortunately penalized ten seconds for missing a buoy. The women still managed to finish second even with the added time.

For the second straight year the Riverside Boat Club won the event, with Williams placing ahead of UNH, UMASS, Trinity, and others in the field of 22 boats.

On the men’s side, the first Varsity Four tied for third with crews from Trinity and Army, with the second boat placing fourth. Wesleyan University (19.14) won the event, six seconds ahead of the Williams crew and just in front of second place WPI.

In the Open Eight Competition Williams placed eighth (17.30) and 15th of twenty boats. The Riverside Boating Club (17.10) won the event with Wesleyan and Trinity rounding off the top three. Coach Peter Wells commented, “We rowed with mixed boats today. We had a reasonable start— not a great start, not a bad start. We did well, but not tremendously.”

In the Novice 8 Competition Williams placed third and eighth behind the winning crew from the Coast Guard, and second place UNH.

As Wells added, “The women should have a very good fall. The men are a little down in numbers, but it was a fair start.”

The Crew heads to Rochester, NY for the Stonehurst Capital Invitational Regatta next weekend.