Women’s soccer remains perfect through four

The Williams College women’s soccer team won for the fourth time this year in as many contests, defeating Little Three rival Wesleyan University in a dominating fashion with a score of 3-0. With the win, the team extended their winning streak to seven games, including wins in their final three matches last season.

In their match against Wesleyan, the Ephs scored early, as Meghan Cleary ’00 netted a goal on a pass from Jill Caterer ’00. Just three minutes later, Cleary assisted on a goal by Katie Bolduc ’01, giving Williams an early 2-0 lead. Bolduc now leads the team with three goals on the season.

Playing aggressive soccer, the Ephs were able to control the pace of the game while protecting their lead. “The forwards played good defense, which gave us good opportunities,” said Williams Coach Lisa Melendy. They fired 30 shots on goal, compared to only seven by Wesleyan. Those few shots were turned away by solid goalkeeping from Rebecca Brooks ’00.

Williams put the game out of reach with another goal, as Katie Walsh ’99 scored with just over 14 minutes remaining in the game.

According to Bolduc, the team’s ability to maintain their intensity throughout the match was a key factor in their outstanding performance. “We’d reallybeen talking about coming out hard for the full 90 minutes, and not letting up, not having good stretches and bad stretches,” she said. “We all really gave 100 percent in this game.”

The victory over Wesleyan came in the wake of another excellent performance: a lopsided 4-0 victory over Smith College. After failing to score for much of the first half, the Ephs broke into the scoring column with only 56 seconds remaining before halftime, as Karen Kelly ’01 scored an unassisted goal. Bolduc, Caitlin Ritchie ’00, and Marlene Bonasera ’02 also tallied goals in the victory. Laura Brenneman ’99 and Brooks combined to make six saves in the shutout.

Again, the Ephs dominated the tempo of the contest, firing 34 shots on goal, compared to only 10 by Smith.

“We created a lot of opportunities for ourselves,” Bolduc said. “They came from everywhere- forwards, midfielders, defenders.”

The Ephs seek to continue their winning ways against Skidmore today at Cole Field.