Volleyball up and down at MIT Invitational Tourney

Women’s Volleyball continued their successful season, reaching the finals of the MIT Invitational tournament this weekend. Despite losing to Wellesley in the final match, the team recorded four impressive wins.

In the first match at MIT, the Ephs faced a rematch with Amherst after defeating them in five games at the Williams Invitational last weekend. Once again, the teams went to five games and reached the same outcome, with the Lord Jeffs winning the first game 12-15, and Williams coming back to take the second 15-13. Losing the third game 4-15, the Ephs battled back hard in the fourth game to win 18-16. The deciding game, played in rally format, was won by the Ephs 15-10. In the match, Amy Greifenstein ’99 compiled a school record 33 kills, earning her the honor of first Eph to become a member of the NCAA’s 30 Kill Club.

In the second game of the tournament, the Ephs beat Springfield 15-12, 15-3, 11-15, 15-12, for the first time in Coach Manning’s tenure at Williams College. For the seniors, the victory over Springfield achieved a goal they came to school with four years ago. Greifenstein again led the Ephs with 17 kills.

In the first game on Saturday, Williams swept Bates 15-8, 15-2, 15-7, with the team evenly contributing to the win. Junior Katie Ford’s 12 digs, Greifenstein’s 13 kills and Sophomore Shenika Cohn’s 14 digs aided in the victory, which marked Coach Patricia Manning’s two-hundredth career victory.

Later in the day, a more energetic Eph squad won their semi-final match against Eastern Connecticut 9-15, 15-12, 15-13, 12-15, 15-9. Ford led the team with 14 kills and 21 digs, while Greifenstein’s talented play inspired the team to recover after losing the first game. Greifenstein recorded 13 kills and seven solo blocks in the match, and Cohn had an impressive 32 digs.

In the final match, a rested Wellesley team defeated Williams 15-9, 15-7, 15-8.

Captain Christine Whitcraft ’99 played the entire tournament as setter, pacing the team with her consistent play, and Greifenstein was named to the All-Tournament team. Despite the loss, which brings their record to 7-1 over the season, Coach Manning is pleased with the team’s play.

Reaching the finals was the highest placement in a tournament for the team, and this tournament fielded an especially tough field of teams.

The team’s success marks the enthusiasm and determination that Coach Manning has seen in the team since they first began playing this season. Next weekend the team will play in the Bates College Tournament in Lewiston, Maine.