Men’s cross-country races to victory

The conditions were unfriendly and the course was daunting, but neither of these factors could keep the Ephs from once again emerging victorious as hosts of their own invitational. Williams outdistanced the second place team by an astonishing 55 points.

Leading the way for Williams was senior co-captain Dan McCue. McCue ran a sensational time of 26:28 leaving his nearest competition 18 seconds behind. “I was dead even with him at 5k,” said McCue of the second place finisher. “I just felt good and pushed it the rest of the way.” McCue’s time was within 30 seconds of the course record.

Next into the chute for Williams was the other senior captain, Paul Alsdorf. Running with an illness, Alsdorf was determined to compete in his final home meet. He did Williams proud, placing third overall in a time of 27:12. “It was all right,” said Alsdorf of his race. “I just couldn’t finish up at home by watching the race.”

Rounding out the top five for Williams were Geoff Hutchison ’99 (27:38), Dusty Lopez ’01 (27:40), and Shad Miller ’00 (27:43). “A lot of the other teams end up going too fast since they don’t know the course,” remarked Hutchison. Williams placed 11 runners in the top 22.

The course was somewhat different this year with the addition of hay bales for the harriers to hurdle. Coach Pete Farwell placed two sets of these barriers on the course both of which the runners encountered twice. Hurdling the obstacles was optional and it seemed that most runners declined. “It’s good fun,” said Andy Anderson ’99.

Williams’ victory in the varsity race wasn’t the only triumph on the day. In the JV 5k race, four freshmen and one senior turned in sensational performances to sweep the top five places. Wes Reutimann ’02 was the overall winner with a fantastic time of 16:48. The next runner was more than a minute behind, and also wearing a Williams singlet. Nick Minekime ’02 was second in 18:03. The rest of the Williams’ scoring five were Ryan McDevitt ’02, Brian Hennessey ’99, and Ben Chaffee ’02.

Next week, Williams will be hosting the alumni for a low-key race around the golf course. The race begins in the science quad and the gun goes off at noon.