Field hockey beats Wesleyan with overtime heroics

The Williams field hockey team had a tough week with three games, two of which went onto overtime. The Ephs won two of three and now boast a 3-1 record. On Saturday, the Ephs played their most exciting game of the season, taking Wesleyan to two overtimes and two rounds of penalty strokes before defeating them 1-0.

In the first half, tough defense by the Ephs and eight saves by goalie Tailer Senior ’01 prevented the Cardinal offense from making any impact. The second half was dominated by Williams’ strong offense, but they were unable to come up with a goal. Tied 0-0 at the end of regulation, the teams went into a seven-on-seven sudden-death overtime.

Playing a balanced 15 minutes, the teams were still tied at 0-0 as the first overtime ended. The second overtime saw a more intense offensive attack from Wesleyan, but just as in the first half, the Eph defenders were able to stop their momentum.

After battling through regulation and two overtimes the teams were still tied at zero, forcing the teams to begin taking strokes (penalty shots). In the first round of strokes Sarah Commito ’01 and Kristi Grippi ’00, netted the Ephs first goals, only to be matched by two Wesleyan players, sending the game into the second round of strokes.

Finally Williams was able to pull ahead, with goals from Commito, Lyssa Castonguay ’01, and Molly Venter ’02, one more than Wesleyan, bringing the marathon game to an end. In the Williams goal, Senior made 17 saves between regulation and overtime.

Earlier in the week, the Ephs suffered their first defeat of the season, losing to Union 1-0. In another tough game, the Ephs had trouble adjusting to the artificial turf of the Union field and were unable to pull out a win.

Tied zero zero at the end of regulation, Union scored shortly into the overtime period. Williams’ offense put the pressure on, but the Union defense proved to be too much for the Ephs and allowed only eight shots. In the Williams net Senior made 12 saves, but it was not enough as the Ephs suffered their first defeat.

The Ephs began the week strong, facing Smith at home on Tuesday and walking away with a 3-0 win. Williams struck early when, with 30:32 remaining in the first half, Robin Severud ’00 scored, assisted by Jill Murray ’99. Less than five minutes later Severud netted another goal, this time off an assist by co-captain Catherine Polisi ’99. For the remainder of the first half the teams were unable to move the ball towards either goal.

As the second half began, the Eph offense pressured the Smith goalie. Williams’ pressure paid off, when with just under two minutes into the half, Emily Shanks ’99 fired one past the Smith goalie.

Williams plays at home on Saturday at 11a.m. against Trinity.