Field hockey pulls off OT win — Ephs take Clark College to sudden-death

The sun was shining as the Williams field hockey team began their season last Saturday on a positive note. Despite the loss of five starters, including All-American defenseman Lauren Gioia, the Ephs proved their ability and defeated Clark College in overtime.

A solid defensive game by Williams held Clark in check, in spite of their heavy offensive pressure during regulation. Goalie Julianne Austin ’99 showed her skills are not limited to the lacrosse field, as she snagged nine saves, shutting out Clark. With the score tied at zero at the end of regulation time the game went in to sudden-death overtime.

The Ephs pulled together and put forth a powerful offensive effort, outshooting Clark four to one and taking six penalty corners. With only three minutes eleven seconds remaining in the overtime, Alexis Scott ’00 (a transfer from Princeton) netted the game winner off an assist from Sarah Commito ’01.

The season outlook is bright and Coach Chris Mason is hoping the team’s experience will help the team to its fifth NCAA tournament appearance in as many years. Three-year starter and Captain Kelly Becker ’99 will cover the backfield, with help from sophomore Commito.

The midfield also has experience, with Robin Severud ’00, Lili Anderson ’00, and Lyssa Castonguay ’01 all returning. The top returning scorer, forward Jill Murray ’99, along with teammate Catherine Polisi ’99, will provide the Ephs with offensive firepower.

Coach Chris Mason will also bring significant experience to the team. A two-time Olympian and member of the US Field Hockey Hall of Fame, she is the leader in Division III wins for New England.