CC men conquer in Canada

The Williams Men’s Cross Country team traveled to Montreal this weekend to compete against some of the finest institutions in Canada in a six kilometer race. The Ephs emerged victorious by placing nine runners in the top 13. The win marked the second win of the year for the Ephmen, coming off a defeat of Middlebury last weekend.

In Montreal, Williams was led by senior co-captains Dan McCue and Paul Alsdorf. McCue and Alsdorf finished first and third respectively. McCue would have set the course record had the race officials not erred in laying out the course, resulting in the route being approximately 15 seconds longer. Rounding out the top five this weekend were seniors Jeffrey Edmonds, Geoff Hutchison and sophomore Dusty Lopez.

The course consisted of three loops throughout a park at the base of Mount Royal. Runners proceeded up a large gradual hill, back into a series of twisting paths in the park and then back down the first hill. The combination of the park and picture perfect conditions provided the picture perfect backdrop for another Eph title.

This annual trip serves as a nice break for the team as it gives them an opportunity to escape to the city and expand their horizons. Said Coach Pete Farwell, “We have our choice between going to Montreal or Bates and this meet lets us race against completely different opponents, which is a nice change.”

Last week most of the seniors stayed home and a number of the younger runners went to Middlebury where they also emerged victorious.

In this race, Williams had five of the top six places allowing them to cruise into victory. The scoring runners were Andy Anderson ’99, Dusty Lopez ’01, Shad Miller ’00, Tim Karpoff ’01, and Jay Slowik ’01.

This week Williams will be at home to host the Williams Invitational at Mount Hope Farm.