Women’s tennis team heads to Natl’s

Unfortunately for the Ephs, they drew host team Washington and Lee in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championship. Although they won two of three doubles matches, they would only get one singles match victory, and they lost on Washington & Lee’s home court 5-3.

Doubles pair Sarah Marks ’00 and Daphne King ’99, playing in the number one slot, defeated the team of Berry Blankinship and Ericka Shapard 9-7. Though Brooke Gibson ’01 and Alison Swain ’01 lost to Erin Eggers and Brook Hartzell at number two, 8-3, Lindsay Morehouse ’00 and Tyler Lewis ’99 picked up the slack at number three, beating Christina Campbell and Annie Castello 8-4.

In the singles matches, Marks started things off on the right foot, knocking off Ericka Shapard in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. However, all four of the successive Williams players lost.

Morehouse, playing number two, couldn’t handle Hartzell, who won 6-0, 6-0. King lost to Blankinship 6-3, 6-2 at number three, while Eggers defeated number four Ephwoman Gibson 2-6, 7-5, 6-3. Swain, playing a tough match, lost to Campbell 5-7, 7-5, 6-1. The sixth match of Lewis vs. Castello was not finished, as the team victor had already been determined.

“It is tough to lose in the first round, but we have a young team and will be back even stronger next year,” said a slightly disappointed Head Coach Julie Greenwood. “Now we are looking forward to the individual tournaments this weekend.”

In individual action Marks defeated Melanie Puetz of St. Thomas in the first round. Marks’ run was ended in the second round with a 3-6, 3-6 loss to Caryn Cuthbert of Kenyon.

The Ephs finished the regular season 8-4 this spring. King and Marks were also selected to play in the 16 team doubles tournament that should begin soon.