Women’s lacrosse rocks Div. III quarterfinals

The women’s lacrosse team came up with a huge win this Sunday, winning a nail-biter over Trinity College 12-11 and advancing to the NCAA National semi-finals. Despite the wet weather, the largest crowd of the season came to cheer on the Ephs and watched as they scored three goals in the final seven minutes to take the victory.

Caroline Nesbit ’99 began the Ephs’ offensive attack with an assist from Alana Teutonico ’98 with less than a minute gone in the game. Trinity’s Dorothy Cavanagh answered moments later with the first of her six goals. After being tied at three, the Bantams broke away to lead five to three. However, the Ephs put together a four-to-one run, with goals from Tina Eide ’98, Teutonico, Nesbit, and Alison Furey ’99, to acquire a 7-6 lead at the half.

The Ephs began the second half strong, with Lauren Gioia ‘98 scoring 30 seconds into the second half, but were unable to hold the momentum as Trinity’s Cavanagh scored three more goals. A goal by Robin Severud ’00 temporarily dampened Trinity’s attack, tying the game at nine.

The Bantams scored two more in the game to take an 11-9 lead into the final minutes. But the Ephs refused to give in to the Bantam’s attack. Courtney Stokes ’99 and Katie Minton ’99 stopped Trinity’s advances, and the offense netted two more goals to tie the game at 11. Co-captain Gioia threw in the game-winning goal with two minutes remaining and the Ephs excitedly maintained the momentum until the final horn.

Goalie Julianne Austin made 13 saves including some great ones in the final minutes. Two Ephs netted hat tricks in their final home games, Teutonico (2 assists) and Gioia; and Nesbit (2 assists) and Severud each scored two. Teutonico and Nesbit also added to their individual records, Teutonico for career goals and Nesbit for assists in one season.

Both coaches were respectful of their opponents’ ability. Robin Sheppard of Trinity said “No sour grapes. The change of possession call put the possession in Williams hands. That’s not what you want against a great team like Williams.” And Chris Mason of Williams said “On our errors we did not throw them away, Trinity forced them.”

Williams will continue their first ever NCAA post season on Saturday in Maryland, facing Hartwick College at the University of Maryland, Baltimore.