Ephs shut out Trinity

The Williams College women’s softball team improved their overall record to 24-10 defeating the Trinity Bantams by a score of 2-0 in Friday’s Division III ECAC-North quarter-final game. “It was a great game overall,” Williams’ head coach Dave Caputi said, “we had good pitching, good defense, and timely hits. That’s what we’ll need to have for the rest of the weekend.”

Unfortunately for the Ephs, the rest of the weekend never materialized due to rain, and the softball season came to an abrupt end at the ECAC semifinals.The ECAC could not reschedule the game because of end of the year conflicts with other schools.

About the situation Ramona Nicholson ’98 said, “Its definitely very disappointing not to have the opportunity to play for a championship. We feel that we had a very good opportunity of taking it all.”

The same situation occured two years ago for the softball team. Rainouts forced the ECAC tournament to be cancelled and the season ended without a champion.

Pitching for Williams in what turned out to be the final game against Trinity was Catherine Bagley ’99, who faced 27 batters. Bagley pitched three strikeouts, giving up one walk and five hits. Pitching for Trinity was Beth Mooradian.

The Ephs first run came in the bottom of the third inning on a single by Laura Jacobs ’99. Amanda Robinson ’01 led off the inning with a walk. She advanced to second on a sacrifice fly by Becky Logue ’99. Jennifer Garabedian ’01 then hit a sacrifice fly, allowing Alison Steppe ’01 Robinson’s pinch runner to advance to third. Steppe subsequently scored on Jacobs’ single.

Williams’ second run came in the bottom of the fifth on another single by Jacobs. Robinson led off with a single. Steppe then reached second on another sacrifice fly by Logue. Steppe then proceeded to third on a ground ball, where she was driven in on Jacobs’ single.

Nicholson was able to sum up the season by saying, “let the great games stand as a record of the great things that we acomplished.”