WUFO headed for regionals

Williams Ultimate Frisbee started its run toward Nationals last weekend, participating in the Western New England sectional tournament. The sectional and regional tournaments count as qualifying events for the National competition held in Blaine, MN.

The first game of the day was against Amherst. In the long storied history of these two schools, Williams has only once lost to Amherst and that was this fall match. Williams came out strong and didn’t give Amherst a chance to get into the game. On the opening pull, Dan Niedzwieki ’99 point-blocked the first pass and caught the score for Austin Chang ’99.

This set the tone for the game. Williams ran up the scoreboard with scores from Ted Satterthwaite ’00, Duncan Meiklejohn ’01, and Brian Frederick ’98. The hapless Lord Jeff’s were crumbling and attempted to throw a zone in relatively little wind. Needless to say, the offense of Williams broke the zone and went in half-time up 7-3.

The second half was more of the same crushing Williams offense. Williams capitalized on a dropped pull by Amherst and finished out the game 13-5. Once again Williams crushed the Amherst squad, keeping the rivalry going strong.

The next game was against an inexperienced Middlebury team. Williams had stifling defense from the start with Lyn Debevoise ’98 getting a block and throwing a score to Jon Alexander ’00. Satterthwaite connected with a long forehand to the end zone to Brian Connors ’00 to finish the half 7-2. Freshman standout Pete Jones made an incredible defensive block and then sprinted down to the end zone for a sky over two hapless Middlebury defenders. Williams won 13-4.

Williams was looking better and better as the day rolled on and their third game approached. With a win, Williams would secure either the first or second seeds in the section and probably the fifth seed overall at regionals. This game was against a very experienced Concordia.

It was a close game from the beginning, with the score fluctuating back and forth. This game marked the return of often injured Jon Soslow ’99. He contributed immensely on defense, accumulating six D-blocks and two points scored. Mike Darowish ’98 connected to Meiklejohn to take half 7-5.

Williams came out strong in the second half, bringing the score to 11-7. However, the game continued to be close with Concordia scoring on a few hucks over shorter Williams defenders. Williams finally closed out the game with a Hammer from Darowish to Soslow. With the victory, Williams secured the second seed in the section and was pitted against Dartmouth in the final for the first seed.

The Dartmouth game started out close, with both teams playing great defense. However, Dartmouth ran up the score late in the first half to lead 4-7. Williams started to fade, as fatigue and injuries took their toll. Playing with a small squad to begin with, Williams tried to rally but couldn’t do it. Williams managed to score only three more points as Dartmouth cruised to a 13-7 victory.

With regionals next week and the top three teams advancing to Nationals, Williams is gearing up for the competition at Bowdoin, ME.