Students Run for a Cure

This past Saturday over 350 Williams students and members of the community raised money for The American Cancer Society by participating in Run For A Cure. The three mile course began and ended in front of Chapin Hall.

According to Leigh Olmsted ’99, one of the co- organizers, the event raised over $10,000 for cancer research. “This is our second year, last year we raised $6500, and this year has been fantastic. It was a huge success.”

Juniors Nicole Strauss and Dede Orraca-Tetteh organized the event with Olmsted.

Participant Deborah Frisone ’00 commented, “At this time of year a lot of people tend to get wrapped up in school work and their own busy schedules, it was great to see so many students take time out to support such an important cause. I think the run is a great way to raise money and a great opportunity for students to get involved in helping to make a change.”

“Who says Ephs are always apathetic?”questioned Tara Crowley ’00.

This year’s run was held in honor of Matt Stauffer, a Williams student who passed away after battling leukemia earlier this year. Stauffer’s family was present for the weekend’s festivities.

“It was wonderful to see so many students, friends and alumni supporting Matt’s memory,” commented Strauss.

Many volunteers gave generously of their time to make the event possible, staffing check-in and providing logistical support.

Village Ambulance EMT Dave Neubert ’99 donated his medical expertise to ensure the safety of all participants. Approximately 30 local businesses and Williams departments donated goods and services to the effort. Strauss was especially grateful to Assistant Dean of the College Wanda Lee for her support. “Dean Lee’s help was amazing. She helped us get this event started last year, and put in massive effort this year. This event would not have been possible without her help.”

The Williamstown Police Department generously donated a cruiser and two officers to aid participants in crossing streets. Security donated all officers present, and Dining Services provided refreshments before and after the race.