Softball team secures ECAC berth

The Williams College women’s softball team earned the number one berth in ECAC tournament after finishing their regular season with a record of 23-10. The Ephs will play Trinity at home tomorrow at 4 p.m. Trinity swept Williams earlier in the year in a double-header, so this is the Ephs opportunity to exact revenge.

The Ephs ended their regular season with two straight losses to Amherst in Sunday’s double-header. In the four-year history of softball as a varsity sport at Amherst, these are their first two victories over Williams, and this is also Amherst’s first Little III title. The losses, 7-6 and 2-0 improve Amherst’s record to 28-6.

The Lord Jeffs came out strong in the first game, outscoring the Ephs 6-0 in the first five innings. In the top of the sixth, two Amherst errors allowed Williams to tally two runs. Laura Brenneman ’99 and outfielder Caitlin Carr ’01 scored on a single by Kathleen Mason ’99.

Amherst answered in the bottom of the sixth with back-to-back doubles, allowing Vicki Gonzalez to score. The Ephs then went on a scoring run in the top of the seventh. Catcher Becky Logue ’99, outfielder Jennifer Garabedian ’01 and centerfielder Laura Jacobs ’99 each singled and scored as did senior pinch-hitter Rachael Moeller, bringing the final score to 7-6.

Pitching for Amherst was Allison Schwarting, who allowed nine hits, with Meghan Nelson catching. Pitching for Williams was Catherine Bagley ’99, who allowed 15 hits, with Becky Logue ’99 behind the plate.

A double followed by a single allowed Amherst to score their first run of the second game, and a passed ball allowed them their second. Jen Shea pitched for the Lord Jeffs, allowing four hits and leaving five Williams baserunners on base. Pitching for the Ephs was Ramona Nicholson ’98, who allowed six hits and left on base eight Amherst baserunners.

Earlier in the week, the team went on the road and shutout the Massachusetts College for Liberal Arts Mohawks by a score of 2-0. “We had quite a few timely hits…” Williams’ head coach Dave Caputi said in response to the game, “and Catherine Bagley pitched a great game.” Bagley had two strikeouts, zero walks and only allowed two hits.

Williams scored their first run in the first inning on a single by Carr. Garabedian led off the inning with a single. A few plays later Carr then hit her single, driving in Garabedian.

The Ephs’ second run came in the bottom of the fifth by Logue, on a single by Jacobs after Logue led off with a double. Logue then stole third on a passed ball, and was batted in by Jacobs.