One in 2000: Carrier Sloan

Residence: Armstrong

Hometown: San Francisco, CA

Major: English

Hero: I really like Haley Mills, and I know that sounds so cliche to my character, but I just enjoy her. That sounds so sunny.

Ambition: To be a writer, and I don’t know what else.

Personal Theme Song: Well, I go in phases, I switch around. But i really like “Something Tells Me I’m Into Something Good.” Really upbeat.

Favorite dining hall meal: Um, I like the barley casserole.

Favorite drink: Orange Julius.

All-time favorite album: Okay, any of the Brazilian Stan Getz stuff. There’s one album I have in mind right now, but I can’t think of the title.

Muppet you most identify with: Fozzie Bear. He’s just got a lot of charisma, and he’s funny. Not that I have charisma and am funny, but I think I’d get along with him. I used to watch Muppets when I was sick and I think I just liked him.

Favorite article of clothing: My light-blue flannel pajamas from L.L. Bean.

Carrie, not only are you going to be a JA next year, but you’re the president of the next JA class. Are you ready for all these new responsibilities?

Yeah, um, definitely. I think I’ll be more ready come next fall, but I’m definitely excited. It’s something that I’ve wanted to do for a while. I’m excited to have “my people.” I was talking about this with someone the other day, and I look forward to having my own family, sitting around the dining table being weird. I’m weird. I’m excited about letting that energy explode around my freshmen. I just get a kick out of rallying around a team, entry spirit, etc. And Dave Erickson is my co-president, I’m excited to work with him.

What’s the most bizarre thing you did with YOUR freshman entry?

Um, well, last Spring a group of my friends and I went skinny dipping. We had it all planned out, to find the hopper trail and find the swimming hole. But we drove back and forth to Vermont several times and never found it, so we headed down to the Green River with maybe two inches of water in it. I took off all my clothes except my baseball hat, and had no shoes on. The pebbles really hurt my feet, and I was in pain, doubled over naked and stumbling around. It was hysterical, I’d envisioned happily splashing around, and it certainly wasn’t that experience.

If you could have a monument built to you on the Williams campus, what would you have built and where on campus would you like it to be?

Built to me. Hmm… Okay this is going to sound weird, but I think I’d like a gazebo. I don’t know where I’d want it. But just someplace to sit.

As a displaced Californian, what do you miss about home when you’re here?

I miss the smell of the ocean in the air. I don’t live on the beach, but San Francisco’s on the bay, and there’s just always that salty quality in the air. And I miss lots of fresh produce. I miss getting dressed in the morning with my sisters, five of us in one bathroom. I miss my oldies station in our Volvo station wagon, because I can’t get one here. And I think I miss the hills too. I miss driving a stick shift with my Beach Boys going. And I miss good Mexican food. And I miss my news people, you know. I miss seeing the weather on television, I really like weather.

Someone meeting you would probably pick up on your generally sunny personality. Can you tell us a more wild and deviant story to disprove that?

I’ve always been called innocent, naive, cute. It used to annoy me, but now it amuses me. I get a kick out of knowing myself. In terms of a dark story…. My older sister and I used to bury our goldfish. We’d lay the fish down in little used jewelry boxes, lined in cloth, and edged in beads with little pillows. She’d dig the hole, and I just remember her thinking I was disgusting because I’d just sit there staring at them. I wish I could tell you something really dark, but I think I’m essentially a relatively private person, and I hide those dark things deep in my recesses, but they’re definitely there. I feel bad sometimes, I wish I were as nice as people think.

Any last words for the readers?

You know, when I walk my dog, I pick up his messes and I love spicy food, and I like to eat jalepenos until I cry, and I’m really strong. I could probably hold my own in an arm wrestling match against a lot of boys, and girls. I was three pounds, four ounces when I was born, and my mom always told me I was a fighter.