Ephs headed for NCAA Div III Championships

The Williams women’s lacrosse team will make its first appearance in the NCAA tournament this coming Sunday at 1 p.m. on Cole Field when they face the winner of the Ithaca-Trinity game. Ithaca and Trinity will play Wednesday in Hartford for the right to play Williams in the second round.

Williams earned the number three seed in the tournament after finishing the season with a 12-1 record having just fallen short against arch-rival Amherst, losing 8-5. All-American Alana Teutonico ’98 put forth a strong effort, tallying two goals and one assist, but it was not enough to overcome the Lord Jeffs.

The Ephs had difficulty converting in the first half and were only able to score four goals. Down 5-4 at the half, the Ephs became more tentative, and could only score one more goal. Tallying goals for the Ephs along with Teutonico were Lauren Gioia ’98, Robin Severud ’00 and Caroline Nesbit ’99, who also had two assists. Goalie Julianne Austin ’99 made seven saves for the Ephs.

Concerning the tough defeat, Williams Coach Chris Mason commented that, “We just didn’t play well and Amherst is one of the top ten teams in the nation. We were unable to score early and that hurt us later in the game.”

Earlier in the week Williams came up with an important 12-10 win over the fourth-ranked team in the nation, Middlebury. The Panthers jumped to an early two-goal lead, but Cara Shortsleeve ’00 scored the first goal of her hat trick to begin the Ephs’ attack.

Middlebury then regained control, extending their lead to four, until Williams was able to light up the scoreboard with three back-to-back goals. Williams entered the half down by only one with the score 7-6.

Williams began the second half inspired by Sarah Roth ’98 who scored a goal within minutes to tie the game at 7-7. Middlebury was able to take the lead for the last time when an illegal check by goalie Austin gave Middlebury an open shot.

However, through great saves by Austin, the tough defense of Courtney Stokes ’99, and a continued attack by the offense, the Ephs held Middlebury to one more goal and pulled out the win. Scoring for Williams in the game was Shortsleeve with three, Severud, Teutonico and Gioia each with two, and Alison Furey ’99, Nesbit and Roth with one. Austin posted nine saves.