Building the Trail for ’98

May 9 will be the first of two trail-building days for the Class of 1998 Trail. The second will be during Senior Days on June 4.

The new trail will be a 2.5-mile stretch of a six-mile loop which winds from the base of Pine Cobble, up to the lookout, over to the Appalachian Trail and loops back down to Bear Spring by way of spectacular cliffs. Talk of the trail began in early October when Honora Englander ’98 and Christopher Elkinton ’98 met at the top of Stony Ledge on mountain day. However, this idea originated long before in the College’s history.

The Class of 1933 began this tradition by constructing a trail up Mount Berlin as part of a gift to the College. With this history of trail-building and the rich hiking resources in the area, Elkinton set to work to laying out the course for the 1998 trail.

Working in conjunction with landowners in the area, the Department of Environmental Management and the Appalachian Trail Committee, Elkinton has “blazed the trail”—all that remains is to build it.

Next Saturday, students from all classes and levels of experience are invited to gather for a day of service and fun. There will be an all-day shift from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., a morning shift that goes until 1:00 p.m. and an afternoon shift which begins at 1:00 p.m., with vehicles leaving from Chapin steps. Everyone is encouraged to participate in this big event. Clippers and rock tools will be provided!